406 Coupe Speedo Failure

Hi,

today my speedo had a dropout for about 10 sec. I watch this failure also on a test drive with another car before.

Any known reasons for that?

Kind regards Joachim Engel

Reply to
Joachim Engel

Loose electrical connection probably or a failing gearbox sensor. I had it on a Xantia where it would work normally most of the time then gradually the failures got worse and worse until it stopped working. I made a note of the rev counter readings at different speeds fortunately. It shouldn't be an expensive repair though.

Reply to
Malc

had a problem with the speedo needle bouncing with in 5/10mph of actual speed on my 405,peugeot said it was the gearbox drive and wanted £70 JUST FOR THE PARTS. local garage said £30/40 all in.on the way home the cable snapped,new cable fitted,no needle bouncing and now working ok.possibley caused by kink in cable because moving the cable before it snapped would slightly cure the bounce.

Reply to
wolves

its electronic on a 406 though used to be a problem with water getting into the connector to the sensor may be worth a look also check the earth connection on the gearbox

Reply to
Mindwipe

Thanks, guys, for the plausible tips. Let's see what the garage says.

Kind regards Joachim Engel

Reply to
Joachim Engel

I had this intermittent fault on a 406 automatic, petrol model. It turned out to be the sensor mounted on the gearbox. £25 for part plus labour although you could fit it yourself. Diesel models have a box under the passenger dash that can go faulty and give this symptom this has been discussed a lot in the past. Robin

Reply to
Robin Bendall