406 DIESEL IMMOBILSER KEYPAD

My keypad code had 3 ones (numeric digit 1) in the code and that seems to have worn out the connectors for the digit 1 key within the keypad. I managed to change the code to a different one without using the number 1 and it worked fine for 2 or 3 days. But all of a sudden, I cannot get the car going again. More specifically, after I punch in the new code, both the green and the red lights on the keypad stay switched on ... suggesting the immobilser has not been deactivated?

I managed to get a replacement keypad from a scrap merchants (assuming the code is held in the ECU and nit within the keypad....? Am I right with this assumption or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Even after replacing the keypad, I still have both the red and the green lights on again. Has anyone got any ideas what I can do next without having to lay out a lot of money? I could have a suspect ECU or a wiring problem from the keypad to the ECU ...?

About a year ago, my key fobs for remote locking and unlocking packed up and I just use the keys manually; I dont think that has any direct bearing on the immobiliser problem but could I be wrong and it is related ....? Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Reply to
ram