electrical problem

All of a sudden my heater fan has stopped working on speeds 1, 2 and 3 though it works on 4. Is this a faulty switch and is replacement difficult? or is there wiring common to the three speeds but not the fourth?

Thanks guys

Reply to
bob watkinson

I'm no expert on pugs in particular, but his sounds like a resistor pack has blown (1,2,3 are fed through a resistor to slow the fan 4 is direct feed)

Reply to
Thomas Edwards

Thanks Thomas. Sounds like a garage job then . Do you think it will be expensive?

Reply to
bob watkinson

It depends on the model, if the resistor pack is easily acessable under the bonnet, thaen the only problem is getting parts, but if it is behind the dash, it will be more compicated/costly

Someone else on this group will prob know this fault better than me!

Reply to
Thomas Edwards

Hi Bob Tom is correct in his diagnosis - the resistor is faulty. You do not mention which Peugeot you have, but I have changed the resistor on 406 and 605. Both are quite easy. Remove the panel above the front passenger footwell, and you should see the heater blower motor. A black (?) box fastened with 1 or 2 screws to the edge of the motor mounting is the culprit. Loosen and remove plug - that's it. The downside is that you are unlikely to get the resistor from anywhere else then a Peugeot dealer.

IPG

Reply to
Ívar Pétur Guðnason

Many thanks Ivar. Mine's a 206. I suppose it will be the same set up.

Reply to
bob watkinson

We export high quality used cars, trucks, parts and machines from Germany. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Mitusbishi, Honda, Volvo, Toyota, VW, Opel etc...Please call or tell us if you have any questions. If you dont find the car you need, just contact us so we can find it for you.

Please visit our Homepage.

Carsexporter

In message , bob watkinson writes

On the 205 at least, the motor speed is controlled by a transistor regulator, the switch connects different resistors to it for the different speeds. For full speed though, the switch just short circuits the transistor, because there is no need for it with its loss & heat dissipation.

What you describe happens when the transistor fails, it is open circuit so the fan does not run except when the fan is at full speed.

Again, on the 205 at least, the transistor is on a circuit board within the fan assembly, it can be removed from below the fan and replaced.

Car buffs get a good board from a car scrap yard. Electronics buffs instead replace the transistor with anything suitable.

For more details see earlier threads, such as:

Regards

Reply to
Dave English