Engine Management light

1996 Peugeot 406 1.9TDi

My engine management light started coming on about 2500 revs. Took it to my local Peugeot garage, they said after inspection that the ECU was buggered, it would cost £750 to renew it.

I managed to buy a new one from Holland costing about £450, fitted it low and behold the same problem.

  1. Anyone any ideas.

  1. What's my garage up to, going to charge me that amount for something that I hope may be something simple.

TIA

David McCallum

Reply to
David McCallum

i wasn't aware the old diesels had an ECU but before changing the ECU i would have taken it to another garage. PUG dealers alway seem to blame the easiest and most expensive part. Didn't anything show up in the fault log?

Simon

Reply to
SimonDS

Basically they said it was a bad earth in the ECU, needed to be replaced.

Can any garage diagnose the fault? Sorry for being ignorant I know nothing about cars.

TIA

David

Reply to
David McCallum

any pug dealer can do it. most of the dealers where i live are rubbish

Reply to
SimonDS

Simon,

It was a Peugeot dealer that told me the ECU was as fault, what's to stop another one?

Can you recommend one in the Edinburgh area?

David

Reply to
David McCallum

David,

Which dealer told you this? The only two Peugeot dealers I know of in the Edinburgh area are Arnold Clark in Lochrin Place and Belmont Peugeot in Sighthill.

If you can be bothered with the drive, Ecosse Peugeot in Bo'ness are trustworthy, and not the type of place (in my experience) where they'll replace parts unnecessarily. It's about 25 minutes from Edinburgh, and I've found the staff nothing but helpful and enthusiastic, something I've yet to come across at even the best of main dealers. They have the same diagnostic machine as a main dealer would, I believe (they've certainly checked out my ECU before, and downloaded updated software onto it - Peugeot 106).

Regards, Graeme.

David McCallum wrote:

Reply to
Graeme Bunyan

Graeme

Sighthill.

I'll give Ecosse a try, do you have a contact number for them. Big problem is could they do it on a Saturday as work commitments muck up during the week

David.

Reply to
David McCallum

They are on 01506 516106, and are open on Saturdays (although they are usually pretty busy, so you may not be able to get in *this* Saturday).

Regards, Graeme.

David McCallum wrote:

Reply to
Graeme Bunyan