Engine Management Warning Light

Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVTI 2002 engine warning light came on after I stalled engine and has stayed on . I have been driving car for a few days with seemingly no difference in performance - car running same as usual. Batterry disconnected temporarily which stopped light coming on for a while but came on and stayed on again. I've booked car in for service and reading to be checked etc. but just wondered what could be causing this and if driving it in the meantime likely to cause any problems ?

Cheers for any advice

Reply to
unshaven

the identical car lives next door, and also has the light on with everything working ok. I put the code reader on it and it says that the lambda sensor is the problem. When I priced a pattern one from a car shop it was a silly price. On ebay there are much more sensibly priced ones, but you need to have the part number which is stamped on the old one. I still have not got round to removing his one to get the number and sort out the light (best part of a year) First step for you is to have the codes read and that will dictate the next step.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thnx for that . It's going in for a service nxt week so will be checked out . The car suffers fron the infamous heavy oil consumption problem so probably this has caused crap build up etc, Only hope it's not the cat ........ Will let you know what transpires . Shame as apart from the oil issue the car has been faultless these last seven years .

Reply to
unshaven

Hi Update

The code read # p 0135 and the garage finally fitted a new oxygen sensor and charged £87 for part plus fitting etc Engine management light out for an hour and 5 miles later back on . Car running fine having just been serviced with new plugs , air filter. Garage says sometimes affects other sensor readings when a new sensor is fitted and that running it with EM light on will not do any harm ! The car has done 125 000 miles so I don't want to keep throwing money at it - new sensors etc . + who knows a new ecu but as it is running so well and used for business I am loathe to get rid at moment

Reply to
unshaven

Recheck the code is the best bet. It is the heating coil gone in the car next door, 431 pounds from toyota and 144 from an internet supplier, his one is not the vvti and is a little earlier than yours.

Reply to
Mrcheerful