Engine suddenly cutting out

Hi all,

When driving to work this morning at around 40mph my 306 Turbo Diesel just stopped. The fuel guage and speedo moved to 0, the radio stayed on, the accelerator was unresponsive,the brakes seemed not to work and likewise the steering was very heavy (if not locked) I can't remember if the engine itself stopped as I was quite shocked by what happened!

The car started up immediately without any issues and was fine on the journey onwards and on my return journey this evening.

I have it booked into a mechanic on Thursday, but he said over the phone that if it is just a one-off, it may be hard to diagnose.

Can you guys offer any insights as to what may have caused this and if it is likely to happen again?!?

Thanks, Sean

Reply to
Sean

Check your cut off switch on top of your diesel pump. it might have a loose wire on it .

Reply to
Chrs

I should get the earth leads from the battery to the gearbox and then to the chassis checked. They may look ok but give them a good tug near the ends.

Reply to
Nigel

I've had this happen to me several times in my 806 HDi which turned out to be caused by 2 small pieces of plastic or rubber in the fuel tank blocking the small suction intake to the in-tank lift pump! Extremely difficult to diagnose because the faults reported were always airey fairy intermittent faults.My cure was tank removal and inspection of same before problem was cured.Not all that costly compared with finding yourself in the third lane of a motorway with no brakes, engine or steering!

Reply to
Richard Cutler