gear shifter 406

I drive a peugeot 406 (stick), and the gear shifter seems to have a lot of slack in it. I wonder if there could be a problem with the transmission or that it is simply an issue of tightning a bolt somewhere? I have googled for ages, but I seem to be the only one with this problem. Has anyone encountered a similar problem? All sugestions are welcome (before I go to the dealer to be ripped off).

Reply to
obiahman

There is a plastic part at the bottom of the gearstick that could wear as the 206gti stick has this. When this wears out the change can feel a bit loose and not as accurate as below.

Try checking that to see and any the linkages and such as there is also a plastic ball on the gti.

Dont know if that helps but worth a look as its FREE! keke

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Yes, there is a plastic part at the bottom of the gear lever that wears on Peugeots. I had a 405 which this happened to. If you ignore this problem the car will eventually start to fall out of a gear!!! I promise you, you do not need a fright like the one I got while overtaking a trunk. The wearing of this part can usually be caused by resting your hand on gear lever while driving.

P.S. I have heard some horror stories about dealers using this problem to change a gearbox, which in turn drove customers away from Peugeot cars.

Bryan

Reply to
Speedie

Thanks a lot... that must be it. Can I replace it myself? if not, is it expensive? (to avoid your horror stories).

"Speedie" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Reply to
obiahman

I?ll check to see is it covered in my 406 Haynes manual. It was a few year ago when I replaced the part in the 405 and I think was about £10 - £20 (Irish punt) (so I estimate ?40 - ?50 should cover it). Give me a few days and I?ll have much info?

Bryan

Reply to
Speedie

I would appreciate that, certainly after my peugeot dealer experience today; After 45 min of waiting at the dealer, it was finally my turn to speak to the allmighty knowledgable girl at the peugeot helpdesk where the word 'service' is unknown. After explaining that I have a lot of slack in the stick she concluded that I needed new cables. Estimated costs 80 euros pieces 2 hours labour = 230 euro. Did I wish to make an appointment? Jeeeezerrr... offcourse not... they hadn't even looked at my car! Man did they leave me with a bad taste in my mouth... (I even contemplated dedicating the rest of my live for bringing that place down). p.s. for those interested, it was the peugeot dealer in Strasburg.

"Speedie" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Reply to
obiahman

Had a good experience at Autohaus Beier in Karlsrühe last week, shouldn't be far from your location...

"obiahman" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:40c87022$0$25410$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr...

Reply to
Craig