Motor Insurance Database UK

Hi,

I am insured, but for some reason not listed with the MID.

Is it best to be registered?

Thanks

Reply to
species8350

The insurance company will do that automatically (usually within seven days of issue) - but some of the 'cheaper companies' don't always comply.

Don't worry, if you get stopped by the plod, simply either show them your Certificate of Insurance or tell them the name of the company - and they will either telephone the company there and then, or give you some documentation and tell you to produce the Certificate of Insurance, Driving Licence (and MOT Certificate if it's required) at a police station of your choice within seven days -- and this will usually be *after* they have given your car a good going over to make sure that lights, tyres etc are working/legal.

Remember, there is *NO* legal requirement forcing you to carry *ANY* of your driving documents with you at all times.

Reply to
Cash

There is however a legal requirement (AIUI) for your insurance company to put you on the database within 7 days of the insurance becoming effective. You could email your insurance and tell them to get their finger out.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Thanks to both.

Best wishes.

Ps. Sounds like its more convenient to be on rather than off the list

Reply to
species8350

DVLA use the database when issuing Tax Discs on line and the Police use them when checking number plates with cameras. The image from the camera identifies the reg number and queries the road tax, mot and insurance databases in split seconds. If any of the three comes up negative a police motor bike hares after you and pulls you over. They have been doing this a lot around here lately.

Reply to
Tinkerer

Got to do somthing with the council tax we all have to pay .

Reply to
Chris

They're probably doing it on your side of the river as well. Staines Road West and Halliford Road seem to be the favourites over here.

Reply to
Tinkerer

Reply to
Chris

I see that my car is now registered on the MID.

I can see the make and model, but no other details.

Can I view more complete details?

As a matter of interest, if I sell the car, or remove it from the road, etc., how would I go about removing the details from the MID?

Thanks

species8350

Don't know about seeing more details. However I assume that if you sold or SORNed the car you would cease or lay up your insurance and the insurance company would then be obliged to re-notify the database. If you kept the insurance running (silly in those circumstances) it would remain as is - but it would of course still be accurate, the vehicle would still be insured.

Reply to
Tinkerer

om...

Yes, I agree

Best wishes.

Ps. Pity we can't see more details. If we changed insurance companies or made other changes, it would be nice to know that the MID has been edited.

Reply to
species8350

But it makes it *EASIER* for everyone if you do.

Reply to
Donwill

It also makes it *easier* for a thief to pass off a *stolen* car as his/her own and 'sell' it on to some unsuspecting person when the logbook, MOT and insurance certificates are stolen along with the car.

Particulraly so when some numpty of a driver leaves them (along with a spare key) in the glove compartment, behind the sun visor, in the door pocket or even under the seats - years ago, I even saw the full set of documents left on the passenger seat of a parked!

Nope. in 44 years of driving, the only document I have ever carried is my driving licence (and I'm still using the old paper licence [1]) and never had a problem with the law over it.

[1] And will continnue to do so until my 70th birthday in 9 years time when I have to legally apply for a new one.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I drive abroad quite often, so am used to carrying documentation (including vehicle registration certificate etc,) which I DO NOT leave in the car overnight, unless I stay in a hotel that has secure parking facilities. [Ref 1] Yes been there, 80th in 7 yrs time, but what the hell I'll keep going and enjoying while I can afford it. never had a vehicle or contents stolen in 56 yrs of driving , ( or an accident either) you just have to be careful where you park it. Don

Reply to
Donwill

We are talking about a Government (or at least Quasi Government) database. Personally I think it's a bloody miracle that it does more than give the current date and time. ;o)

Reply to
Tinkerer

Saying things like that is called pushing your luck ;o) (my paper one runs out in three years).

Reply to
Tinkerer

Yes you're probably right, the grim reaper maybe listening :-) Cheers Don

Reply to
Donwill

Don,

The only time a car of ours was stolen was from where SWMBO had carefully parked it off-road in our drive - and some f*****g scumbag broke into the house, took the car keys and the car - we got it back several weeks later!

Cash

Reply to
Cash

It's alright - he's stopped using Usenet and has moved onto web forums, 'cos he wanted animated smilies and an avatar next to all his posts.

Reply to
Albert T Cone