p reg 406 exec alarm

unfortunately someone smashed the window on my 406 last night, it was locked, deadlocked, and I thought alarmed, but as it didn't go off and in the 6 months i have had it has never gone off, can anyone shed any light on the exact procedure for setting interior and exterior protection and or testing the system, I wait in hope, thanks in advance

Reply to
Stuart Bryce

On our 2001 Exec there is a switch between driver's and passenger seats just above the heated seat switches. Its got a symbol something like )))) on it, when this is pressed and you remote lock the car you should see a red light flashing on this switch, which indicates the alarm has been set. The switch is used to isolate the ultrasonic sensors in the car but I think effectively switches the alarm off.

Our dog, a staffy that likes to sit on the passenger seat and see everything discovered the above with her paws.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Longshot

I could use that info as well.I bought my 98 406 and the dealer said it was fitted with factory alarm and said so in his office as I insured it over the phone. This has never gone off and I'm sure he is getting mixed up with the immobiliser. I have a two key button that sets the imm. but I can find no alarm and wondered if this invalidated my insurance.

"Too soon we get old,Too late we get smart!"

Reply to
Harry Hotspur

Hi

I have an R reg 2 lt Exec.

The book says lock the car with the key fob (big button) then press the smaller button the deadlocks should go.

If you wait about a minute, then unlock the doors with the key. If the alarm is set the alarm will go off.

reset the alarm with the key large button, or silence it with the alarm silence, last button on the right under the steering column

Any help?

Tony R

Reply to
anthony redshaw

Hi Guys,

On the 96/97 executive the not so reliable microwave sensors are turned on by a switch just above the right knee, next to the dashboard illumination dimmer switch and the headlight dipping switch.

To test the alarm there are two ways, I know this because I own the petrol version and I used to install car audio and security for a living.

1) Pop the bonnett make sure all doors and windows are closed, press down and hold the bonnett switch (placed next to the bonnett catch) arm the alarm (big key fob button) after 30 seconds release the bonnett switch and the alarm should sound.

2) Sit in the car open and then close door, sit perfectly still armk alarm then after 30 seconds move and this should trip the microwave sensors.

Microwaves are transmitted inside the passenger compartment and when there is a shift in ambient air or a wave is broken by moving object then the alarm is triggered, so dont leave your air vents open at night when its windy other wise your neighbours are not gonna be impressed.! ! ! !

Hope this Helps

D.

Reply to
Deviant Devanti

thanks for the info,as i have just the bog standard 406 none of the above works.I guess I don't have an alarm fitted,just the immobilser.Probably have to get one fitted to comply with insurance requirements.Regards.

"Too soon we get old,Too late we get smart!"

Reply to
Harry Hotspur

The alarm sounder can be disabled for servicing purposes and might not have been turned back on, the alarm sounder itself is situated under the rear right hand of the boot and can be seen from underneath the car just behind the rear wheel, its in a square box with vents in the side. That take care of the question of whether you have one or not the next place to look is just inside the boot on the right hand side behind the rear light cluster hidden almost behind the trim is the service switch ( you really have to get your head right inside to see it ) the problem is now that most people loose this key and as the lock barrel and its wiring is bonded together and also contains a tamperproof circuit you cannot just cut it and reconnect the wires.

The only way to get it to switch on is to get a locksmith to pick the lock for you if you dont have the key

The alarm itself still works with this sounder turned of but only flashes the head lights for a while then resets itself but the immobiliser will still stop them getting away with the car

I hope this info is of some use to you

Reply to
Dave Tilbury