Peugeot 306 Diesel Engine Transplant

Need to replace an engine in a Peugeot 306 Diesel it has the 1.9 engine. Can it be replaced with a 1.8 engine from a 205, is the gearbox different as well. I was also thinking of an older 309 engine
which I believe is a 1.9. I'm told the vacuum pump drive is with a pulley rather than on the camshaft. Alternatively does the head of a 1.8 interchange onto a 1.9 Thanks

You can replace it with a 1.8 as both are XU engines with the same engine mounts. Unsure of gearboxes but if the 306 gearbox OK, it should mate up to the 1.8 (i think). The only problems you may have is how the vacuum pump is powered (as you say), and also how the power steering pump powered (and located). 309 engines are 1.8s (like the 205 diesels).
Other cars with the XU diesels are BX (1.9), ZX (1.9), 405 (1.9), Rover 218 (1.8TD, 1.9 NA) and probably a few more that i cant think of at the moment. They'll all have slight differences but would all fit in OK.
And the heads are interchangeable.
Have you snapped a cambelt or something?
Broken timing belt. The camshaft actually snapped.

/sharp intake of breath/
Is it an interesting story, or just of misfortune? :)
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

This may happen, esp. on Diesels, when the cambelt breaks.
Regards, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr 205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel : http://205d.fr.st
Hello,

There were both 1.8 and 1.9 on 309s.
Regards, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr 205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel : http://205d.fr.st