peugeot VIN how to decode

Does anyone know how to decode the VIN number of citroen cars (806 especially). I am interested mainly in: car production date, engine production date and engine type.

Thanks for any hint!

Dalibor

Reply to
klg

Hello,

Not possible, only Pug knows :-) The VIN presents as : VF3 which is a prefix indicating french vehicles*. Car type (usually three characters, followed by engine type : report to handbook)**. The following numbers (yes there are just numbers) is the serial number. I don't know how to decode them.

*My personnal VIN-VF list (not exhaustive) : VF Manufacturer 1 Renault 3 Peugeot 4 Talbot 7 Citroën 8 Matra Automobile (now Matra Automobile Engineering, property of Pininfarina) 9 Nicolas Industrie.

** for example, a 205 3-doors post '88 is coded 20C. An estate 405 is coded

15E.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

the only thing so far ppl can decode is when the car was manufactuerd; in your door (most models, some have them in the engine compartment) you see the lil sticker with tire pressure and so on, theirs also a 6 figure number so called DAM number which tell you what date the car is build, leave out the least 2 figures (most of the time its 86) and then go to suche website like this (sroll althe way down and you see the calculator) and fill in the 4 figure number:

regards axl

Reply to
axl