Pikey Problems

Hello all,

Just asking for a little advice on my 406 2.1 Td.

I have just had what I can only presume is a gypsy calling at the door asking if I had any gardening/landscaping work that needs doing, I replied "I do that myself".

The chap then started asking me questions about my Peugeot 406, I assume he wouldn't be interested in the VW Touran, cos they are fairly secure and new. I told him I wasn't interested in selling it, he looked pissed off!!! About 20mins later he drove past in a white Transit Flatbed van with a mate, very slowly past my gaff, showing his mate the Peugeot.

Needless to say, I am a little paranoid now, is there something I can do to stop the car starting using some sort of kill switch method or something??? Or should I just remove my CD's now? I did call the police and inform them of the Transit's registration details just in case, they where also very interested, as the leaflet the chap gave me only had an unregistered mobile number on it and no other info.

Any Ideas, Preferably before tonight :)

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

something???

Not a nice situation to be in Andy. If I were you I'd park the 406 around at a mate's house! That's about as much advice as I can offer unless you can chain your chassis using industrial strength cable to an immoveable object? :-)

Reply to
Patrick Kelly

What! - Chain it to the house! - The 406 Diesel could probably pull the house :)

I did wonder if parking the touran in front of it would be a better idea, that's got a pretty shit hot alarm.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

That's an idea.

Have you got a dog? If so place him on the front seat of the 406. And starve him for the rest of the day too. :-)

Reply to
Patrick Kelly

Don't know if your worried about them startig it up and driving it off or just hitching it up and towing it?

One solution would to them driving it away would be to remove the fuses referenced as F25 in the above link I think that would take out the fuel pump and injectors. Otherwise maybe worth buying a lucky charm and hang it from your rearview mirror!

Or you could stick half a dozen scrapped caravans on your drive with the curtains pulled shut, they won't mess with their own kind after all. Good luck, once had a pikey after my knackered Ford Orion as it was sat on the drive for months as I couldn't afford repairs after MOT failure I let all the tyres down and it seemed to put them off keep knocking for it after that. Ten minutes with a halfords cigarette lghter compressor and it was ready for MOT.

Seriously if your that worried take the back wheels off and brick it up, it ain't going nowhere then.

Reply to
Longshot

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:48:27 -0000, a particular chimpanzee named "Nik&Andy" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

He might not be interested in the car, just the number plate (or at least, it's identity). If he or a mate has a similar looking 406, he can stick your number on it, and sell it on or rob a bank with it.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Stop solenoid power? And yes I'd remove anything removable.

Reply to
Malc

"Nik&Andy" wrote in news:42382b1e$0$570$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net:

Plenty of 406s in AutoTrader. Not exactly a rare motor at the moment!

:confused:

Reply to
southpawArcher

From a hardware store, buy a length of chain and a padlock, wrap the chain around the seat anchor point, put wheels on full lock, chain the steering wheel in the full lock position, they might break the steering lock but they wont tackle the chain, all our family cars have these chains fitted,,, they are a great visual deterrent, Good luck Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Place a policemans helmet on the back shelf!mate of mine swore it got him off from getting parking tickets,but that was a few years ago.

Reply to
Seafarer

sleep in it

Reply to
Mindwipe

I have to confess that sleeping in the car in my experience doesn't work. I drove to a party in a flat in New Cross in London some years ago. Never having been great with drink I decided at about 2am I'd had enough and as the party was in full swing I had no choice but to sleep on the back seat of my old 405.

In my fuddled state I stupidly put the contents of my pockets on the passenger seat, keys, mobile phone and loose change. I was awoken at about

6am to the sound of breaking glass and a large hand in the front of the car relieving me of mobile, keys etc.

By the time I'd bounced off the locked door a couple of times in an attempt to give chase the thief had made good his escape. I then had to sit in the freezing cold car for 4 hours while a mate went the 50 miles on public transport to pick up my spare set of keys.

Maybe you should just give him your spare set of keys, otherwise you maybe sued by the council for infringing on his 'human rights'!

Reply to
Longshot

Unless you get some *SERIOUS* chain, it'll take seconds to bolt-crop through !

And if you did get some *SERIOUS* chain, then they could just bolt-crop through the steering-wheel instead.

Steering-wheel security, is not security :)

(unless it's a full-cover device, like the Disklock...)

Fitzy wrote:

Reply to
Nom

Did they ever return ?

Reply to
Nom

Nope, turns out that it was just my paranoia! - The local Police station phoned to say the number on the van was registered locally and he was probably just being a little dumb.

They are sending somebody round to check out our security though, make sure we are safe... They say we are entitled to a load of money for free security updates and stuff, so I didn't say no.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy