Re: Rattling Gearbox

I got stranded at work last week due to something which "rattled" its way off the gearbox. There is a bracket which supports your gear stick thing on the top of the gearbox. Theres kind of a ball which acts as a pivot point and theres a bracket on the side with 2 nuts. Both mine came off and I couldnt get it in or out of gear. I would check this cos if this comes off and ur on the motorway u r stuffed.

scott

Hi, > > Firstly, I know next to nothing about cars but I've had my 306 into the > garage 3 times so far over this and they can't find anything wrong with it. > > I've got an R-reg 306 that's developed an intermittent rattle in the > gearbox. Tends to start rattling when either - turning left doing a little > too fast (if that makes sense), putting the left wheels through a fairly > deep puddle or hitting a bad bump. I know, I'll try not get too technical > :) > > Even when idling (not always, intermittently) I can hear a faint rattle off > the gearbox which stops when I hold the gearstick steady. > > It definately sounds like somethings coming loose somewhere in the gearbox > but, sod's law, anytime I've put it in to have a look at it the > "intermittent" factor's coming up and the garage say they can't get it to > rattle so they don't know how to fix it :( > > Any ideas? > > Mac.
Reply to
scott