Replacing UK headlamps for continental ones

Hello all,

I have a post April 97 306 DTurbo.

I am moving to Germany permanently and I need to swap my UK headlamps for ones for 306s sold on the continent so they point the right way when dipped so I can pass a German MOT.

Can anyone advise if I need to change the entire headlamp unit or if I can just replace the surround for example?

If I need to replace the entire unit, does anyone know where I might be able to source them? Been trying lots of online spares dealers without much luck so far.

Many thanks for your time,

Ken

Reply to
Ken

I assume you just need to have a spare set of headlight 'dipped' bulbs purchased on the continent and change them in the normal way. Dipping to the left or right is surely a function of the bulb, not of the surround or the headlamp unit?

I should be interested in responses to this as I have frequently pondered whether to buy a spare set of bulbs while abroad and simply to swap them over as and when necessary, rather than mess about with those fiddly stick on adapters. Something to do while waiting for the ferry to load!

Anybody know whether this works?

Incidentally I have never, ever, seen a foreign registered vehicle in the UK with black stick on adapters such as Brits use over there, so either there is another simpler solution to the problem or they just all drive illegally!

Reply to
Gunslinger

The headlight beam is produced by the headlight itself, usually by the front lens (ever wondered why the glass is thick and has a pattern on it - it optically bends the light) its nothing to do with the bulb. The newer headlights (aka 307) with the plastic lens, uses the reflector behind the bulb to make the beam pattern.

Having lived in Germany for a few years (BFPO) we always have to change our headlights over to get the cars through the German MOT (TUV)

I think you will have three choices to make this easy...

1) Buy a set of headlights from any Peugeot garage once you get over their (Best have garage fit as you will need to have the alighnment set up)

2) Buy second hand lights - look for the local English paper and the small adds.

3) Look on eBay (the german version!)

BTW, the beam benders (the things you stick onto the lens) will not get the car through a TUV, although you can use them for up to a month in country.

HTH.

John.

Reply to
John West Berks

Actually it is the fitting of the bulb in the reflector which governs the direction of dip. The bulb is fitted at a slight angle, either left or right of vertical, the notches in the reflector mate with the prongs on the base of the bulb. Many years ago, Cibie produced a lamp unit which had a little lever built into it so that it could work either right or left dip. The lens just helps to get the beam in the right place.

Having lived in Germany for a few years (BFPO) we always have to change our

Reply to
brian