Squeak!!!

Hello,

My 52 plate 406 has developed a squeak!

When I first start the engine it sounds like a bird chirping under the bonnet, this disappears once the engine has warmed up.

Closer examination suggests it's coming from the pulley of the unit above the alternator (this is a 2002 406 2ltr 16v rapier petrol). Is this the water pump?

If it is the water pump, is it an easy job to replace i.e. one I should be able to do myself or is it a garage job?

Would adding a lubricant like this one

be worth a try before dismantling? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,

Richard

Reply to
Richard Setford

> be worth a try before dismantling?>

When it is chirping, drip a little water onto the belt. Stand off to one side of the belt track!! I expect it will stop squeaking. My 405 did this and changing the belt fixed it. NB I expect the the pulley you are talking about is the power steering pump.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Sounds like my 405, it turned out to be my fan belt not tight, i have not done it yet as i am just getting over a double hernia op. so it has stopped me a little.but i will soon be back to 100% or more,lol

Reply to
Chris

Don't tell me; the hernia was caused by pedalling too hard ;o)

(see Bystanders reply to your 405mpg post)

Reply to
Keith W

> be worth a try before dismantling?>

Reply to
Richard Setford

Keith i wish i knew how i got double hernias, but if anybody on here has got one get it done .its worth it .it might be painfull for 4-5 day trying to walk but it is worth it.

Reply to
Chris

Chaps,

It would appear that something went wrong with my ISP's news server and any suggestions you kindly made weren't picked up while that server was off-line. Hence my bump message.

Would somebody please be good enough to cut and paste any posts that were made? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Richard

Richard Setford wrote:

> be worth a try before dismantling?>

Reply to
Richard Setford

>> be worth a try before dismantling?>>

Here are the replies (I have excluded non topic ones).

Reply to
Keith W

>>> be worth a try before dismantling?>>>

Reply to