XRDT rattles - help!

I bought my first diesel car a couple of years ago, a 205 XRDT. A good drive, and so far totally reliable. A month or so ago, coming up to

95,000 miles, it started rattling louder than usual, usually when cold & at low revs - e.g. creeping along at 10mph in 2nd its clearly audible. Half the people I've asked say don't worry, all diesels do that; the others practice the standard mechanics response: sharp indrawn breath, slow headshake, etc. It does seem to be getting worse, but by my previous standards all diesels are terribly noisy. (Actually when warm I was surprised how quiet it was from inside, but outside when cold...)

Are there any common faults in these engines at this sort of milage? I believed that they usually went to much higher milages than this before trouble started. In case, any suggestions for good suppliers of exchange rebuilt engines in the Plymouth area?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Well, it's certainly true that diesels are a lot more rattly when they are cold, so it may well be nothing to worry about. If this is accompanied by difficulty starting I would check your glow-plugs and if they're fine I suggest checking the valve clearances.

One (long shot) thing I suggest you check is the water level - on my 205 GRDT I had a minor split in a radiator hose, which led to the water level dropping, and the first sign I had was that the engine was noticeably noiser than normal. Fortunately I caught this before any damage was done, but these engines don't like running low on coolant - it's about the only thing, other than a snapped cambelt, which will kill them.

Nothing specific. The XUDT engines are normally very reliable - most are still fine when the car they are in is scrapped, and mileages of 250,000+ are quite possible. At very high mileages the injectors do wear, and the engine can become smoky, but yours is barely run in.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Do not And i repeat do NOT check the valve clearances, it is an xud7t engine and it does not i repeat NOT need any valve clearance adjustments, rechecking ore whatever

When was the cambelt done? check water pump and thermostat, renew the air filter, fuel filter, and coolant

they do about 500.000 Km, so yes it has barely ran in

Reply to
Marc

Really? It's not something I've done myself on an XUDT engine - mine has never needed it, so I was following general diesel diagnostics. From your reply it sounds like serious damamge can be done by checking clearances on the XUD7T. Is this the case ? Certainly valve clearances are a noteable source of poor cold-weather starting and rattle on the pug TUD4/5 diesel engines.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

once you know what you do it's nothing to dificult, you need clearance "platters" ( donknow the rite word for it in English) it just does not need any adjustments, other then after repairing bent valve stems after a cambelt failure. checking itself does not do any harm apart from the fact that you have no need for it, and you need to replace the lid gasket. The damage you do is to is to your purse ( as with all pug parts)

so is cambelt tensioner, waterpump, and worn out engine shockmounts.... in general!

My 406 HDI rattles when i give it stick, i'm not to worried about it.. i just let it warm up and it runs fine

Reply to
Marc

The word is 'shims'

Reply to
yeha

aha thnx!

Reply to
Marc

Thanks for the replies. The cambelt, all filters etc. were replaced last summer, about 6,000 miles ago. Oil, water etc. are all ok. I'll have a go at rechecking the cambelt on Saturday. One thing was suggested: is it possible for the injector timing to be too far advanced - do diesels pink like petrol cars? Dave

Reply to
Dave

does it start difficult? run like a rally car?

I mean it is possible but not very likely, it has a lucas pump i presume? GT has a 205 XUdt maybe he has some sensible toughts

Reply to
Marc

I found that the cambelt was very slack; tightening it up seems to have cured the rattle. It does seem odd that it slacked off that much in only

6,000 miles - I think I'll keep a very close eye on it for a while Thanks for the help, Dave
Reply to
Dave

yer welcome

Marc

Reply to
Marc

Hi Marc,

Sorry, coming late. I was pretty busy these days, could well be worse next week :-)

Of course, as any XUDxT I've ever seen. The only one Diesel pump reported by my tech data (the well-known french RTA, my friends' and my own (tiny) experience) indicate it's a Roto-Diesel (later will be Lucas CAV, later again Delphi) DPC series pumps.

My brother has one ('91 DTurbo, indeed), I just have a '93 Junior D. Not important for the point I will express : As it's pretty cold these days, oil (whatever it's motor oil or gearbox oil) could well become thicker. Even if it's inside the engine, it's cold, still ! On winter, with my car (checked with some other 205Ds) I can feel a lower idle on cold start, and a far stiffer gearbox; which tends to disappear when heating up. Could well involve the rattle mentionned, IMO. I also feel some kind of rattle on such occasions.

Regards, G.T (Not a mechanic. Doesn't work for Pug. Stacks crates of toastbread all day or all night long. Should be an electronics engineer at this time. Argh). snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T