02 GP sputtering problem

My girlfriend's 2002 Prix is having a problem that I would like some help with--- The Service Engine Light is on and we have not taken it in to get serviced.

The engine RPM's will not go above 3500rpm, even in park with the pedal all the way to the floor. During driving the car stutters and hesitates quite a bit and takes forever to reach highway speeds. The car idles fine and runs decent once you get to speed. The acceleration is very poor and once again stutters.

Should I just take it into the dealer and get the codes read?? I am not a Pontiac or GM guy, so my experience is with other makes.

All advice is welcome and appreciated

Matthew Brown Memphis

Reply to
Matthew Brown

The problem could be due to a lot of things. YOu could take it to Autozone to have codes read but will they/you know what the codes really mean? Better take it in before it sustains major damage, if not damaged already.

Reply to
« Paul »

The engine is not supposed to rev beyond 3500 rpm in Park. But as to your stuttering problem accompanied by a SES light, it sounds like a bad misfire. Have it scanned at a dealer or decent aftermarket repair shop. By the way, the Service Engine light is really an "Engine Problem" light, but GM thought that sounded too scary. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh