1968 firebird will not turn off

I have a 68 Firebird that the positive lead to the battery shorted to the motor and burnt the cable and battery. I bought new cables and a battery and the car
runs great. The only problem is that it will not shut off. The key seems to work fine. Any help would be appreciated.
Dave
Dave wrote:

start pulling the tape off the wiring harness that goes from the fuse block connector to the ignition coil. There are more melted wires in there, I think.
GW