1990 grand prix

My 1990 3.1 V6 will run fine,then suddenly the engine will cut out. It can then take 10 - 15 mins to start again. and then it runs fine until it stops again.Has anyone any ideas?

Thanks Bob Lewis

Reply to
Robert Lewis

Could be ignition module. Is there spark and fuel when it won't start?

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

This is a huge pain in the ass to fix sometimes.

Just remember, there are only so many parts that control spark on your car:

ECM, ignition module, and crankshaft position sensor.

If you don't have spark, then the trouble is in that list.

Spark control is a very common problem with the GM's of your era (I have the same car year and engine). Scan it for codes just to rule out anything else.

If you take both ignition wires off of a coilpack, the spark will jump between the 2 posts on the coil. This is an easy test to determine if you have spark, or if you have a dead coilpack.

Reply to
Clem

Ooh, and the coils!

Reply to
Clem

My 1990 GP required a new ECM when it had those symptoms. The other symptom it had was that the speedometer would act erratically right before it would die.

Reply to
Flatlander