1995 Grand AM Hard starting.

My grand am has a quad 4 motor. When I try to start it up and the engine is cold, it has a hard time starting. When it eventually starts, there is a smell of gas. If the engine is warm, it starts fine. Does anybody know what might be wrong. I am not sure where to start trouble shooting. Thanks for any assistance.

Reply to
Mike

I had a 95 Grand Am that was so hard to start when it was cold that I was lucky it even started!

And once I got it started I had to keep my foot on the accelerator for at least a minute otherwise it would stall!

At least I now know that I wasn't the only one with problems!

Dave

Reply to
Diamond Dave

when was the last time you change spark plugs wires and plugs? If you haven't for the last couple of years, I would start it now.

Reply to
Paul

I have seen ,in a couple of rare occasions,one on a k/1500 pickup,and one on a 96 Grand Sport ,where a weak fuel pump gave those very symptoms. I would have the fuel pressure checked while the engine is cold. I may be wrong,but I dont think a quad-4 has plug wires,arent they built into the cover? That would eliminate the damp wire theory.

Reply to
Philip Wagner

Hi, I had the same problem with my 1993 Grand Am 2.3 4Quad (now with 151k miles)

I also had to press on the accelerator to keep from stalling. I kept my left foot on the break and right foot on accelerator as I shifted from park to drive. I drove for like, 2 miles or so before the engine warmed up enough where it wouldn't shake and stall out.

What I did to fix?

Paid to change the spark plugs, ignition coil, fuel filter, and have the top engine cleaned and fuel system flushed. Cost me $815

Before that, I went quite awhile between tune ups and changing spark plugs.

Well, that was more than a year ago. No problem since.

Reply to
Aaron0617

Thanks for the assistance. I will be looking at the plugs and boots next. I did clean the Idle Air Control Valve today. I was carboned up quite a bit. It seems to be starting better.

I last changed my plugs about 6 months ago. I haven't changed the boots though. I will probably go get a set in the next week or so.

Reply to
Mike