Snapped tie rod end

While making a left turn from a dead stop last night, my right tie rod end snapped in two. The tapered shank stayed in the spindle arm and the ball swivel stayed on the tie rod. Truck is a 2000 F250 SD, 2WD, standard cab, 8' bed, 6.8L V10, 4 speed automatic with overdrive. Truck has a grand total of

30,665 miles. Bought new in June, 2000. Has anyone else had a tie rod end just snap for no reason? I've never hit a pot hole, curb or anything of that nature, so a failure of this type is a mystery to me.
Reply to
pwwjcrisler

Peter

Yes but you don't know what your wife has hit when driving it, and she isn't likely to tell you. Same goes for vehicles your kids drive.

Reply to
Scott

That _is_ an odd occurrence. I suspect metal fatigue and/or a bad casting at the part factory. I wouldn't hesitate to replace the other side. I've never heard of one break as you described. You were very lucky that it didn't happen while on the road. You should buy a lottery ticket today.....

The link posted about tie-rod separations doesn't relate to this problem. The problem that article refers to is when the 'ball' actually falls out of the 'joint'. When that occurs, there is no physical/mechanical control at that wheel assembly(a very bad thing). It is a maintenance problem where folks don't lube the ball-joints. Why don't they? Because there are no Zerk(grease) fittings installed to lube them. I haven't bought a brand-new Ford truck for a number of years, but when I did buy one and went to lube my tie-rod ball-joints, there were no grease fittings installed! I had to buy/install them. I figured this would, someday, bite Ford in the butt. Apparently Ford didn't specify grease fittings, in their specifcations to the part manufacturer, so that is what the part supplier made/sent! Someone dropped the ball on this deal. The article mentions 1997 and newer models are affected, but I believe it goes back much further than 1997.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

One of the hardest things on a front end is turning the steering wheel while the vehicle is not moving. It is better to be moving (wheels rolling, friction is lowest, wheels not moving, friction and pressure highest) when turning the steering wheel, otherwise the pressure and friction on front end parts is tremendous, and greatly reduces their longevity. Not to say that you have done that, but it is common. You could just have a defective tie rod end. Keep in mind, the entire weight of the front of your vehicle was pressing on that tie rod if you turned the wheel while sitting still, and if it was in marginal shape premature failure was inevitable.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

My 92 F-250 has 172,000 miles on it and has all original front end parts (that pertain to steering). No Zerks on it. The tolerances on the new joints without zerks are amazing. As a ASE mechanic, I see my share of worn suspension parts, but not as many on fords.

Reply to
Steve

"Scott" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

This is easy. Wife doesn't drive. Never has and probably never will. Her choice, definitely not mine. Our only daughter has been out on her own for 9 years. I am the only one to have driven this truck since I bought it new. And, I know I never hit anything that could have caused the thing to break.

Reply to
Peter W. Crisler

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news:21580-41B5D77E-321@storefull-

3238.bay.webtv.net:

Mine came with fittings and I have greased them regularly. It looked like a bad piece of steel. Color of metal at the break was not uniform across the surface.

Reply to
Peter W. Crisler

"Spdloader" wrote in news:xZktd.16985$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Actually, I was moving forward and turning left as I accerated from a dead stop. It was as I was straightening out the wheel that the truck started to shake and shimmy. At first I thought lug nuts had come loose and I was about to loose a wheel. I checked all the lug nuts and it was then I spotted the end of the tie rod laying on the ground.

Reply to
Peter W. Crisler

"Steve" wrote in news:a5xtd.102010$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

The truck I had before this one was a 1985 F250 2WD and it had

135,000 on it when I sold it and I never did anything to the front end except grease the joints. The fellow I sold the truck to still has it and he and his 3 sons drive the daylights out of it. I guess I just got a bad joint. I'm just greatful it didn't break tooling down I64 at 70 MPH.
Reply to
Peter W. Crisler

thing).

ball-joints,

The color will not be uniform across the surface of the break. It will appear bright at the last point of the break. It will be dull and discolored where it has been cracked for some time. My guess is that you will find a much larger dark dull area than the bright area.

Reply to
GW Bush

As I said, it happens over time, not in one instance, no one ever realizes they do it, AND you may have just had a defective part to start with.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

"GW Bush" wrote in news:i7Ttd.1059054$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

That is exactly what I found. It was a hidden flaw in the metal that to 4 1/2 years and 30,665 miles to manifest itself. Just glad I wasn't doing 70 on the interstate.

Reply to
Peter W. Crisler

ball-joints.

Someone

That does not necessarily indicate a flaw in the metal. What it indicates is that there has been a crack there for some time (that is the darker dull area.) It may also show a bit of rust in that darker area. The final and sudden failure is where you see the bright metal. To prove that it was a manufacturing defect could be close to impossible without some in-depth testing. Even then, it might still be inconclusive. It may be that the clamp on the tie rod end was not tightened properly allowing for a certain amount of movement and vibration. Over time this could cause a crack. Eventually it failed. When is the last time you had a front end alignment? If it was loose, I would think it should have been noticed at that time.

Reply to
GW Bush

Reply to
sn00p

"GW Bush" wrote in news:2Gdud.1065898$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

I change oil every 3000 miles and I check the front end with the wheels off the driveway, grease the joints, etc and I never found any looseness at all in the steering or suspension. Having been a tool & diemaker for the last 35 years, I recognised the failure at the point of fracture. It definitely looked like a flaw in the base metal. When I got the old taper out, it was seated correctly, as there was no evidence of any dirt or rust on the taper or in the tapered socket. Maybe these tie rod ends came from the same place as the Dodge ball joints.

Reply to
Peter W. Crisler

Gimme a break! Few if any techs check this and not that early in the life of the vehicle. There is no reason that this type of failure should occur unless the truck spent its life mudhopping.

Rob Munach, PE Excel Engineering PO Box 1264 Carrboro, NC 27510

Reply to
Rob Munach

Reply to
sn00p