2002 grand prix suspension problem?

I am planning to buy a 2002 Grand Prix SE, only 25K miles and it was in an accident, seller says right rear panel was damaged and repaired, I looked from the inside of the trunk and it looks like it was a light damage. However during the test drive on a highway @ 60-80 mph I have noticed that the car is shaking and I can hear a humming sound, from the wheel the rear right wheel. Seller says it could be caused by a leaking strut or just the wheels need alignement.. I do not really know what to think about it. Please help!

Reply to
Raf

I would have a REPUTABLE mechanic check it out for you. You never know what damage was done to the suspension, but if it was hit hard enough to bend something, it may have bent too far to be peoperly aligned again. The seller may even know this. Don't be a sucker. Check it out.

Reply to
Joseph Roche

Knowing the little bit you do know about the vehicle I'd say its time to say hasta la vista to that car and move on. You can find GP's on almost every used car lot.

This car is what I call a Smash & Trade. There are so many of them on used car lots waiting for the unsuspecting to walk in .

Somebody smashes his car up, gets it fixed and trades it in because they no long want it or it wasn't repaired correctly.

Obviously this GP has some problems. It could be many different things causing the vibration.

  1. Bent Wheel.
  2. Damaged Wheel Bearing hub.
  3. Bent Strut Tower.
  4. Bent Unibody.
  5. Bent A Frame / Tie Rod.
  6. Alignment Off specs.
  7. or ???

Also in time the paint & bondo on the rear quarter panel may deteriorate at a rapid rate then you'll have a car that looks like hell too.

Good Luck.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~273,437 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Despite of your suggestion to say hasta la vista to the car I have decided to purchase it. In fact, right rear strut tower was bent. I have replaced both rear struts and now my car drives like a dream. I think it was a steal to buy this 2002 GP SE for $9500?

Thank you all for your help!

Reply to
Raf