2005 Pontiac GTO a LEAD SLED

Keep up the good work, GM, while on the road to bankcrupcy.

Your new GTO is a four passenger car which weighs in 165 pounds heavier than a six passenger 1954 Chevy. How did those '50s engineers do a full-size car for 3600 pounds (vs 3765 for the GTO) given the fact the engine was a cast-iron wonder and so was the tranny. Or better said, how did GTO staff engineers/blacksmiths build a car so God Damned HEAVY?

Its got a manual six gear transmission to get up to speed. Why, with all those 400 H.P.? A lowly 125 hp '54 Chevy only needed THREE SPEEDS. High performance machines need at most four gears to go at least double the legal speed limit. Six speeds is real work and may even slow down the car from 0 to 100 due to all the lags during shifting. Once past 4th gear, who can even remember what gear you're in? Its stupid. My best guess is those

400 H.P. are "advertised" ponies and off the line its good for all of 20 H.P., maybe.

The '54 Chevy was good for 15 mpg. The new GTO got 17.8 mpg according to Bud Wells, the famous auto writer. Three miles per gallon improvement in

50 years of automotive excellence is really something to brag about, isn't it? Besides, when the car is really "pushed" those 17.8 mpg will drop to about 5 mpg, won't it?

This car is a loser spelled with a capital L. The Chinese Communists are going to kick GM's ass next year when they start shipping product.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Moron Nescio rambled...

::snip::

Apparently, you haven't actually 'driven' one, have you? Some of us actually have the ability to count to 6. Maybe when you make it to 3rd grade you'll be able to as well!

First of all, with the 6 speed highway mileage is more like 28. Secondly, even if it isn't more than the 3 mpg, it is also 375 MORE horses than your

54 chev. And you don't really think the chev got more than 5 when it was pushed, do ya?
Reply to
InjunRAIV

4th gear is still the same as an older 4 speed, 1:1 ratio.

To me it's a 10 mpg increase in the city and a 20 mpg increase running down the highway. With a carbuerator I could never get much better than 8 city/15 highway mpg. Gearing being a heavy factor in this, that 6 speed is a real nice thing to have. I want one for all of my vehicles.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to