68 tempest convertable

I am going to look at a 1968 pontiac tempest convertable tuesday.I dont know much about these cars so could someone tell me what to look for,engine,options,vin numbers.Its suposably number matching Please help with info or websites,thanks

Reply to
Mooboy

Mooboy

Mooboy, if you haven't gone to look at it yet, be sure to check the trunk out very well. The converts are very prone to rust out there. Most of the Tempests came with 350 2 bbl (4 bbl was an option) engines, Hydramatic "Super Turbine

300" 2 speed auto transmissions (indestructible), and 3.08:1 rear gears. Buckets and a console were options that are nice, especially in a rag top. Power brakes (and discs up front) are a nice option to look for. The bottom of the front fenders and the rear quarter panels behind the wheel wells are very prone to rust, so check there closely. To check to see if it is really the original engine, look for the code on the front of the engine block, on the passenger side, just below the cylinder head. There will be a 2 letter code that tells what engine it is and there will be a 6 digit number that should match the last 6 digits of the VIN number, located on the drivers side of the dash (look through the windshield). If you get that that engine code and the info that is on the body ID tag on the drivers side cowl near the wiper arm, you can go to
to decode most of it, including body color, top color, interior color, etc. Hope this helps and let us know what happens.

Reply to
Carrpartz