99 grand am serpintine belt

My serpintine belt won't stop squealing, i've already had it replaced once and then about 3 weeks later it started again is now worse than ever, anyone else have this problem, can someone give me some insight on how to fix it for more then just 3 weeks. thanks in advance

Reply to
Mike0173

Check the driven devices. A bearing going out will increase drag. Water pump being the most likely and will be a real problem if it breaks on the road. If the pump is bad and the hoses are more than 3 years old I'd replace them too, especially the bottom hose. Replaced mine (96) several years ago when the serpentine belt started showing cracks.

Reply to
T Shadow

mine did that and it was a bad battery lugging on the alt.

ds549

A bad tensioner is most likely. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Thanks guys, if I brought it into a mechanic do you think they would be able to identify the problem. Hopefully it won't cost too much.

Reply to
Mike0173