AWOL radiator drain plug

Anyone ever have the rad drain plug spontaneously let go?

1994 TransSport 3.8 Has had nothing done to the rad/drain plug/coolant for over a year, and it dumped all the antifreeze about 75 miles from home yesterday. The plug appears to be missing. I filled the hole with expanding uerethanr foam (spray) to keep the new antifreeze in long enough to get home. In to the shop tomorrow to find out if it fell out or broke off. With no parts suppliers near by, it's good that I'm well aquainted with "non-traditional repair methods", AKA the "ZamFix" from my years in Africa!!.
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I had one let go while waiting at a red light on a '93 Grand Prix. This was a good place for it to happen because I saw the steam and was able to get off the road before any damage was done. The plastic "PLUG" simply broke. I was able to pick up the pieces off the road. Fortunately I was on a bus route and NAPA had the part. With my trusty Leatherman, I was able to get the reaming part out of the drain hole. I was back on the road in an hour. Seems to me I had to replace the part many years ago.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

If you're really lucky your local parts guy will have a solid brass replacement for the plastic part...

Reply to
Ron Seiden

Haven't found one yet, but I do have a lathe - - - - - - - - .

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca