Downsizing tires on Sunfire GT

Hi,

I am looking for winter tires for my 1998 Pontiac Sunfire GT. The car is fitted with 205/55R16 Uniroyal Tiger Paws all seasons. Can I downsize to

195/65R15 winter tires on this car (given that non-GT sunfires are optioannly fitted with this size), or should I stick to 205/55R16?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
OE

yes, the gt's have the same brakes as the se's, so you could also go down to

195/70/14's if you like

Reply to
M.C. Tee

Given the 14 inch rims fit, I'd get a set of the narrowest/highest profile snow tires you can get with the right rolling diameter and put them on. Impossible to drive safely in our winters with 4 "flying saucers"

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

i use 185/75/14's for winters and 225/50/16's for summer

Reply to
M.C. Tee

Sounds about right to me.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Thanks for all the replies guys.

So does this mean that it is actually better to downsize to get better traction etc. as compared to going for winter tires at the original

205/55/16 size?

Any side effects for doing that? Handling, etc...?

Reply to
OE

going with a narrower tire will help you in the snow and ice, reason being your contact patch is smaller, so the same amount of weight is distributed over a smaller area making a higher pressure per square inch, thus you'll be less likely to float on top of snow and ice. The downside is you will have negatively affected the cars dry traction as there wont be so much rubber touching the pavement, but unless you drive the car particularly hard in corners you wont notice a difference.

Reply to
M.C. Tee

You got pimpin wheels on your car or something? Why not just stick with regular all season tires.

good luck

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 32,688 91 Bonneville LE 304,619
Reply to
Harry Face