2003 Vibe GT with 17" Dunlops - snow tire recommendation?

Hi fellow Pontiac owners! :)

Okay - so these Dunlop P9000 215/50ZR17 90W tires SUCK in the winter... and I can peel rubber in the first two gears at any other time... but they're downright scary on snow and ice... so, I need to replace them for the coming Canadian winter... (I'm in Ontario).

I've been looking into the new Michelin HydroEdge tires, which are supposed to have excellent winter traction, and long treadlife to boot. They're offered in a P225/55R17 95T, and supposedly give 140000km of treadwear... I just might not want to put the Dunlops back on...

Will these tires fit in the wheelwells? That would be my first concern... :) They're slightly wider than the Dunlops.

They also rotate 782 times per mile, to the 820 the Dunlops do - by my calcs, that's 95.4%, so it's gonna throw my speedo and odometer out... do I just need to remember "5km/h at highway speed", and mark the mileage when I start/stop using the tire, or is this a really bad idea?

Will my speedo and odo be higher, or lower? For a given rotation, I'll travel further than the car "thinks" it is, so I'd say it will read low, and I'll be going faster/further on the larger tires...

I don't intend to exceed the speed rating, and the car will see a lot of highway driving - I don't care about ride quality or tire noise...

This is the first car I've had with performance tires on it - coming out of a '99 Trailblazer, '97 Blazer LS, and '95 Saturn SL2 - all with all-seasons, so it's never been an issue before.

Any and all assistance or ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Derek

Reply to
Derek W. Keoughan

Get 16" steel wheels and put on the right sized 16 inch tire - a bit narrower, which helps, and more sidewall so better ride on the bumps and ruts of a typical Ontario Winter.

Reply to
clare