Grand Am Trannie oil check??? Help!

I was just wondering... since GM has made the idea of no dipstick for the automatic transmission on my 2000 Grand am 3.4 liter... how am I supposed to check it? The manual says that "if it isnt leaking you don't need to check it" but it bothers me... anyone know? Thanks so much, Gary

Reply to
waterboy44

Get the car up on a rack or some jack stands and get under it. You should see two plugs in hte side of the transmission. The one at the bottom of the tranny is the drain plug, the upper one is the fill plug. Take our the fill plug and stick your finger into the hole. if you can feel fluid or have some on your fingertip when you pull it out, the fluid level is ok. If not, fill the tranny until the fluid is to the bottom of the fill hole.

Tom S

Reply to
Tom S

If you have to do all that why didnt they just leave a dipstick?? Now that seems ass backwards.

Reply to
Ralph Cramden

because they don't want people putting in the wrong fluid and trashing the transmissions.

Reply to
LandB