Hit small bump and car died???

Here's the situation... I was driving home and hit a small bump in the road. The CD player stopped working and I thought maybe I'd blown a fuse. (93 Grand AM)

I got home and indeed the fuse was out for accessories. I replaced it but the car wouldn't start. In fact I turn the key and the fuel pump does not engage (no noise). The car did run while after I hit the bump so I presume it still oerates... it just doesn't engage now.

If I put a fuse back in the accesory slot, the interior lights come on and the car "dings" to let me know something is wrong...eg. the key is in the ignition or the headlights are on.. but the thing is, they are off... and there's no key in the ignition and the interior lights WON'T turn off.

Peculiar set of circmstances... any advice please, this sounds like it will be an expensive fix.

Reply to
Pontiac Fanatic

I had a similar problem once. Turned out to be a bad ground. It might not be your fix, but its simple enough to check. Just check all the main ground connections in your car and make sure they are not broken or corroded. The ones that were causing problems for me were the ones on the side under the passenger and drivers doors. For my car, the interior lights would shut off, but the fog lights would stay on until I pulled the fuse again.

Reply to
80 Knight

It's also possible the cd player ignition wire (constant 12v) shorted out... might that have also shorted the fuel pump relay and the interior lights? I believe the interior lights and fuel pump are connected to the constant 12v.

Reply to
Pontiac Fanatic

The only time the fuel pump in one of my 90-95 cars stopped working, it was the actual fuel pump fuse itself under the hood. As for the beeping, If memory serves, pulling the accessory fuse and putting it back in will cause the car to chime a couple of times, kind of like telling you that it is working again.

Reply to
80 Knight

Turns out it's the alarm module which controls the interior lights and auto door locks when you shift from PARK.

$150 and it's been discontinued... nice

Reply to
Pontiac Fanatic

and the guy has never returned.... so I have no clue how he fixed it.

*cries*
Reply to
Pontiac Fanatic

Ouch. Try a scrap yard.