No GTO for CANADA! :-(

I sent an e-mail to GM and asked them if the new GTO will be available in Canada and the answer was no. Worse yet, they don't have any plans to introduce it in 2005 either. I guess I have to keep looking for a vehicle. Perhaps the G6 coupe will be nice enough and maybe that will be my next car. The Grand Prix is nice enough but it doesen't come as a coupe. Come on GM/Pontiac. Bring out some nice coupes. Pontiac enthusiasts miss the Firebird and the current lineup doesen't offer an alternative.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Blazanovic

Can't you buy one in Buffalo, NY & drive it home to Canada?

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~270,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

No. Apparently the car doesen't meet Canadian standards as is.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Blazanovic

Not accurate Nick. The GTO is a limited run and U.S. sales demand will gobble them up. No reason to sell them in Canada when they will sell out in U.S. market. Why waste money?

Reply to
Sting Ray

Apparently the car doesen't meet Canadian standards as is.

That is the answer I got from GM. I'm sure they will sell all they can make and have a backlog of orders just from the US market.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Blazanovic

Do you happen to know why Nick? Emmisions related? Are there any links you know about that you could point us to that deal with the issue? I had hoped to import one.

Reply to
Sting Ray

Indeed! Investigate the reasoning - the US spec GTO is a better car by emissions standards than the original Australasian spec Monaro. Why after a redesign would they make it not suitable for Canada?

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

This is a copy of the reply I got. Maybe they will change their mind at some point but it doesen't look good.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Blazanovic

I asked and got the same answer from GM as well. I'm guessing the following: French labels and owners manual. Metric gauges (gages.) I know that's lame, but that might be enough money to make it not worth it - they're expecting to sell quickly and it might not be worth the hassle for 1,000 Canadian cars.

Ray

Reply to
ray

Thanks Nick.

Reply to
Sting Ray

"> > >> Thank you for your recent e-mail.

Hi! No problem. I was browsing through some car magazines today and I happenned to see in the new issue of "Automobile" a spy shot of the new G6 and a running prototype of the Solstice. They both look terrific and I'm sure Pontiac will sell a lot of them. I can't wait. A nice new G6 could be headed for my garage.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Blazanovic

Metricated gauges would be no problem whatsoever - the Monaro is metricated. Just use the original GMH instrument cluster rather than the Pontiac part. Or are GM too silly to look to themselves? The french manuals could be trickier.

That's true enough.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

Actually, it really doesn't meet Cdn standards, Canada still has the 5mph bumper laws, whereas the US only has a 2.5mph law. This little bit of difference is going to cost them too much to bother upgrading to the higher standards.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

I rememebered one other thing. Those silly DRLs. Mandatory in Canada. Does the Monaro have them?

Reply to
ray

I doubt the daylight running lights cost that much compared to regular. In fact, I believe GM had made an announcement sometime back that starting with some model year (can't remember which), all of their US vehicles would have DRLs, whether it was mandated by law or not.

However, that bumper issue is quite costly, that doubling of bumper strength really adds to the cost of the vehicle significantly. It requires stronger more rigid materials, etc.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

What're the standards in Australia ?