Re: Might buy, need info..

Basically Lance the 924 you speak of is the version with the Audi 2.0 powerplant. The 944's and 924S you drove had the Porsche 2.5 powerplant. It's hard to say whether you should get the 924 or wait. If you liked the

944, you may not like the 924, then again, if it is very good example and could possibly be used to take the next step up...is the 924 a special edition? A LeMans or Martini? That would definitely make $1900.00 a good buy.

If you are looking for direct differences here they are : The 924, besides the Audi 2.0, was comprised of lots of VW components. The

924 being an original VW-Audi project, kept alot of VW technology. Not really a bad thing, and if you think about it, cheaper to maintain. The drawback being, the VW parts were not exactly the lightest or most sports car specific available. The early 944's you drove got the full Porsche treatment (though the A-arms were still steel) A lot of the VW and Audi parts were replaced.

It's a tough decision, but I would drive them both, one right after the other and see what you like best.

Hi group, I have a change to buy a 1981 924 with only 69,000 miles in nice > driving condition for only $1900 dollars. I really want a 944, but this > seems like a really good price to me and seems kinda hard to pass up. I have > driven a few 944's, a 83 and 84. I also drove a 1987 924S which drove just > like the 944. So can someone tell me the big difference between a early 924 > and 944? Will I be let down with a 81 924 after the 944? Thanks for your > help, no 924 haters need reply please. > > > >
Reply to
Devils944

Hey Devils, Thanks for the quick reply. As far as I know the car is not a special edition. Did the 2.0 engine in the 924 see any duty in any Audi cars? How is a 81 924 from a performance standpoint? The 944 was perhaps the best handeling car i've ever driven. It seems like the Price of 944s have started to rise, I remember a few years ago I was considering them and $2500-$3000 was a typical asking price, now I can't even find a decent early

944 for under $4000! They are a really pretty car, a few years ago I ended up buying a Mercedes 450SL which is a nice car, but I still go crazy everytime a Porsche 944 drives past me. Now i have to have one. Anyways, thanks for your help. I know the 924 takes a lot of crap on this NG, nice to have someone who can give me a honest answer =)

Reply to
Lance

No problem Lance, I can give you some answers on your new questions also !

Reply to
Devils944

The sad VW group is thattaway>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Reply to
bruce springsteen

I went and looked at the car and it is in nice shape, no rust, nice interior and service records dating back to the orginal owner. But there was one problem, they said the car overheated after 5-10 miles of driving. I drove the car down the service road for a few minutes and saw no signs of it. Drove real nice, just like the 944s I have driven, except not quite as much power, but still peppy when you got on it. So my question now is, what is likely the cause of the over-heating? And the price to fix it. I know HG fail on these cars fairly often, that would be my guess.

Reply to
Lance

Devils thanks a ton for the help, I don't know where else I would go. If its not a BHG then for sure I want to snap this thing up, I know they will take $1300 or so for it. Is there any way I can tell if its a HG or the other things you mentioned? I didn't notice any white coolent smelling smoke coming out of the tail pipes. If I can get a good deal on it, I can drive it for a year and then trade it in on a 944 when one pops up at a dealer. For all the crap you hear about the 924 I was expected to be let down, but for the most part it drove the same as a 944. I had just as much fun in it atleast. The non-agressive looks kind of bother me, but who could turn down a Porsche in excellent condition (except for the over-heating) for just a grand or so.

Reply to
Lance

So what can I expect to pay to fix a HG at a trustable foreign auto/ porsche dealer?

Reply to
Lance