Re: V8 Conversion Question

I did notice where you said "now every Chevy V8 ever made is unreliable and of poor quality". Our experience has been that the Chevy V8s we've had the misfortune to own HAVE been of poor quality and on the unrelaible side as well. Maybe you buy a car so you can toss the stock motor and replace it with an "aftermarket" one, but I expect the factory motor to perform.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

What fastest car(s) in the entire world? My 2002 Carrera has a higher top speed than either Corvette (Z06 and the standard version) out of 2.1 liters LESS displacement in the motor. A turbo Carrera enjoys an even greater advantage......

Reply to
Jim Keenan

Nice looking ride, man. I'd take one of those any day over any year Corvette. Tonyrama

Reply to
tonyrama

OK, I am ending it here in hopes you will go away.

So, for the final time (and you might as well not reply because I will not be answering you again.)

Here is why you are considered a troll. You throw out numbers like "600HP Chevy", with no discernable proof, yet you limit the criteria for the 944 (or 924 for that matter.) to the 2.0 and 2.5 versions. For around 3 grand my S2 can be bumped up to 350HP with some modifications and will still remain a Porsche engine. To answer your question, the 924 GTS developed around 375HP out of it's 2.0 liter engine. The 944 2.5l can be supercharged for a lot less than a Chevy conversion and get in the 300HP range. I also know why you leave the 951 out of your equasion...they can be bumped up to the 400HP range with minor mods (also cheaper than a Chevy swap). Your arguments are weak and your very,very limited knowledge of Porsche automobiles is evident.

No, because you never see an old Timex. Let me give you another example. The high water mark for 944 sales was in 1984. There were approximately 26,000 models built worldwide. 9000 were rest of world models and 17,000 were U.S. models. The same year Nissan built 78,000 300ZX cars for the United States ALONE. This makes four 300ZX cars for every 944 built for the U.S., yet, where are all of those Z cars? You will see many more early 944's on the road, for sale, or in someones driveway than you will ever see Z cars. How can this be? The Z out built the 944 by a 4 to 1 margin! It is all in the quality of build. The 944 held up, the Z didn't. You have to look at things "in the long run" to see why quality and cost figure into any equasion. When new, most products are pretty close in performance. A cheaper product will ALWAYS decline in performance and value over time. Something is cheaper for a reason and that is that.

There is no arguing that a Chevy will get the job done...the question is, how long? and at what price? It is far better to pay more for quality, than to perform a shortcut for cheap, it will always bite you in the ass in the end.

Listen Brad, it is clear you have a problem with class envy. You get upset when someone prefers more expensive items and you somehow want to justify why the cheaper way is better. Just be happy with who you are and let others be happy how they are, and let it go. If you prefer to not own higher quality items, who cares, but for you to constantly insist we follow your way of life has just grown tiresome. I simply don't believe in your system and you don't believe in mine, so let's leave it at that.

Now back to Porsche talk...

babbling of this troll. Although shooting holes in his erred theories is exceptionally easy

Reply to
Devils944

interested...

Reply to
Devils944

The stock Porsche motors don't perform at the level some people want, so those have to be tossed sometimes, too. When I consider Chevy swaps, though, yeah, you can just toss a stock engine in there, but where things really shine is when the intent from the start is to make some halfway-serious power out of the car, and building up a Chevy V8, or simply buying one someone else put together, is when the benefits of a Chevy swap really come into play.

Reply to
Brad

You are thinking in numbers way too small. I was thinking more along the lines of 2000-7000 horsepower. Think John Force. Although, even the power people make with street-driven Chevy cars is often crazy enough. Even full-tilt race cars don't make that much more power than some cars with license plates do, which is amazing, really.

Reply to
Brad

When I think John Force I think his car is a Mustang bodied funny car that goes 1/4 mile and can't turn corners. You're comparing a purpose built professional dragster with a stock Porsche? Not exactly apples to apples.............

Reply to
Jim Keenan

When I think John Force I think of a blown fuel, Mustang-bodied funny car that goes 1/4 mile and doesn't turn corners. It's a car with a purpose built motor that descends from the Chrysler Hemi, not a Chevrolet. In the history of blown fuel drag racing (AA/F funny cars and dragsters) the Ford 427 SOHC has a more significant competition history than any Chevrolet motor, and the Ford was competitive for only a short while in the late 60s/early 70s. Those classes have almost always been ruled by Chrysler or Chrysler derivative motors.

Are you really trying to compare a professional, non-Chevrolet powered dragster to a stock Porsche? Not exactly apple to apples........

Reply to
Jim Keenan

;^)

Reply to
rory911

Clapped out is how I would describe a whole lot of Chevys up here in New England, and this is Chevy Country up here.

There was a tan 944 for sale around here recently. If only I had some extra change..... Tonyrama

Reply to
tonyrama

Reply to
tecwhiz

Reply to
tecwhiz

Pay attention. I said my Carrera has a higher top speed (177) than either Corvette (175 for the standard, 171 for the Z06).

Road & Track has the Z06 at 0 - 60 in 4.5 seconds, a Carrera in 4.9. They have the Z06 at .98 on the skidpad, the Carrera at .91 and BOTH cars at 67.6 mph in the slalom. The Z06 stops 3 feet shorter from 60 mph and both cars are the same from 80 mph. And they have both cars at 20 MPG.

For 2.1 liters extra displacement, 85 more HP and who knows how much torque, the Z06 is .4 quicker to 60 and generates more cornering force but can't manage any advantage in the slalom. There are no significant differences in braking. The only thing that blows is your bowtie bullshit. Get your blinders off.

The regular Corvette matches the Carrera in 0-60 and 1/4 mile elapsed times, corners .02 less and is 5.4 MPH SLOWER in the slalom. The Carrera stops 17 feet SHORTER from 60 MPH and 10 feet shorter from 80 MPH. The only embarrassment is you can't get your facts straight. Loosen your bowtie, it's cutting off the bloodflow to your brain.

The Turbo Carrera is .5 seconds quicker to 60 MPH than the Z06, quicker (.4) and faster (2.1 MPH) in the quarter and has a top speed 19 MPH HIGHER than the Z06. It stops within 5 feet of the Z06 from both 60 and

80 mph. The only smoke around here is that cloud of misinformation you're hiding behind.

Oh, and Road & Track did a 0 to 100 to 0 comparison in their August 2003 issue. In the Sports Car category it was a Viper and a Turbo Carrera. There were no Corvettes invited to attend because "they are simply not fast enough". The Turbo Carrera won.

tecwhiz wrote:

Reply to
Jim Keenan

And lest we forget that JD Power "Initial Quality" survey you used to trot out (the one where the Corvette edged the Carrera for first place), the JD Power "Long Term" reliability survey had the Carrera first, Honda S2000 second and the Boxster third. Corvette dropped off the scope. Apparently after the initial thrill wore off, all those saps realized they were stuck with a Genuine Chevrolet.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

Oh and don't forget how much exra you pay for that nice new 911 Carrera what $85K minimum? The Z06 can be in your driveway for $51K I would think the loss of all that money would ipen your eyes up to real world dollars and sense!

Regular Corvette is a lot cheaper and also comes as a convertible what does a convertible 911 cost? Oops quite a bit more!

Oh only $120K, so for the price of 2 Z06's and enough spare change to buy a new Honda Accord for a winter beater yiou can get .5 secs more speed 0-60 and go 19 mph faster on the AutoBahn if you lived in Germany. Yeah what a deal the Porsches are. You always need to factor in price and even so you can buy a twin turbo Vette witha 427 big block in it that will destroy a 911 Turbo at the drags or on a road course and still have change left over. The performane between the Z06 and the 911's might very well be similar but the prices are worlds apart.

Reply to
Shomuni

This is simple...The Z06 has Chevrolet "quality" hence the cheaper price. Two of shit is still shit. As was stated in C&D a few months back " The engineers at Chevrolet would like to bring the new Corvette up to the same quality as it's German counterparts, but cannot find a way to keep their target market." In other words, it's worth $51K because it's worth $51K. A

911 Turbo costs $120K because it is worth $120K. Another way to look at it...If a 911 cost 51K and a Corvette cost 51K, which would you buy? If a
Reply to
Devils944

Thought

Rennlist

cheap

Reply to
Devils944

It's simple only to you. The performance of the Z06 is a verifiable fact. Likewise the 911 variants. I do not see an extra $35K is quality over a Corvette for less performance. Nor do I see more than twice the quality but minimal performance gains for almost 3 times the price. Yes the 911 is a very well built car. The Chevy is also screwed together pretty well. It's certainly cheaper to make the Chevy go faster than a 911. But $35K would buy you one hell of an interior. Porsche makes all it's money on overcharging for those extra bits. Porsche crests in the seats are what $200 extra? at least that for painted wheel covers. So with Porsche you Pay for every tiny little thing. The Z06 is faster and cheaper and an overall better bang for the buck. However it is very much lacking when it comes to an interior. Although many people have custome interiors installed and for far less than $35K. The fact still is that a base 911 is going to only see Z06 tail lights and for a whole lot more money. The Corvettes race in a higher class than Porsche as well. Porsche is nice but for some reason Porschephiles have to rip on Chevy to feel good.

Reply to
Shomuni

Never said Porsche cost less than a Corvette. This thread wasn't about cost. The bowtie bonehead said a Z06 would "blow away" my Carrera in acceleration, braking and cornering. I provided facts that proved otherwise and as you so aptly put it "the performance between the Z06 and the 911's might very well be similar".

If cost is your bottom line then buy the Corvette, but it is ridiculous to state "you always need to factor in price". If that were the case all the Corvette drivers would be in Mustang Cobras or Subaru Stis which approach and exceed Corvette performance for thousands less. I wanted a Porsche and it didn't matter that the Corvette cost less. There are more factors at work than the simple bottom line.

Reply to
Jim Keenan