2010 Prius III fuel efficiency hypermiling results

Reply to
Bruce Richmond
Bruce Richmond

Tire footprint and optimization with suspension dynamics.

Reply to
News
Reply to
Bruce Richmond

Good luck. Suit yourself. The contact patch changes dramatically with inflation pressure as well as suspension loading, camber, roll steer. I would expect this to be particularly so for low rolling resistance tires.

Perhaps you should ask someone at Toyota what they think of your street driving experimentation. Better yet, ask a product liability attorney.

Yes, I do run soft compounds on the sports car, and I have dialed in the proper pressures for a variety of road surfaces and events. None of them on the street.

Yes, I do use separate sets of high performance and winter snows for each street vehicle. Properly inflated.

Better dial up that attorney.

Reply to
News
Reply to
Bruce Richmond

I'm not talking about preferences, I'm talking about things like drivetrain longevity. You don't know what factors affect that, and why the engineers made the "compromises" they did.

It's not all about "what people prefer".

For example:

bzzzzzt, thanks for playing. It most certainly does hurt the car to "converve heat" by not using the heater. The engineers designed the traction battery to operate best within the same temperature range as what makes the human driver comfortable. Ever notice that it's vented to the cabin? That's to take advantage of cabin climate control. And by the way, that's why the Prius *has* automatic climate control--not because Toyota wanted to give a premium feature like that to someone buying a $20K car, but to give the battery the best chance to be in its optimimum temperature operating zone. Give the driver the ability to set it and forget it, and let the body computer make all the decisions on how to get the cabin--and the traction battery--to where it needs to be.

So now you come in and play your rolling video game, but you ignore the big picture that you clearly don't know anything about. When you choose not to heat the cabin, out of ignorance, you're screwing with the highly engineered system that lots of highly paid professionals designed and created. You're actually hurting the traction battery.

nope. The engineers made many decisions, and of course cost came into play, but it's nowhere near as simple as what you think. The engineers need cabin heat in the winter--they need the human to be comfortable--in order for the entire system to work as designed. Your claims of "well, they just did it for cost saving" are nothing more than self-serving excuses for you to play your rolling video game and hyperfocus on one thing: that dashboard number.

You're sacrificing the traction battery long-term just for your short-term goal of making numbers appear on your rolling video game. Is that a PREFERENCE of yours? Add up your total per-mile cost--not your miles per gallon, but your total per-mile cost--over the life of the car, and do so by adding in an early traction battery replacement that you wouldn't have otherwise needed if you weren't playing your rolling video game.

That's just one example of what happens when amateurs convince themselves that they know more than the guy who engineered something as complicated as the hybrid synergy drive.

hardly. I'm a knowledgeable man explaining the world to an ignorant, selfish youngster.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Laugh it up. Remember to drive it all the way through the crash.

Reply to
News
Reply to
Bruce Richmond

Meanwhile, you take the driving public hostage to your foolish experimentation. Your insurance carrier will no doubt appreciate this behavioral insight for rating purposes.

Reply to
News
Reply to
Bruce Richmond

You have the recto-cranial insertion franchise all to yourself, skippy.

Reply to
News
Reply to
Bruce Richmond

quoted text -

Neither the 3G Prius nor other current hybrids meets my requirements.

I will look at the 2012 Prius v, when offered.

Meanwhile, keep telling us how you are a menace on the public roads.

Reply to
News
Reply to
Bruce Richmond

Usually, a post like yours is the result of someone shoving the truth up your ass until you realize it.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Not directed to me, but I'll take this one: when I got my 07, my choices were that, a Malibu, or continue to drive my own car and get reimbursed.

Yes, mine is a company car (and it's a nice bennie, saves me money). Sight unseen, without having so much as sat inside one, I chose the Prius. And for comfort and driveability, I know I made the right choice. It's amazing that you can acquire a Toyota sight unseen and know you won't regret it for ergonomic reasons.

Before getting it, I read up on it--extensively. I've forgotten more about it than most owners will ever know. (That's OK; it's documented somewhere.) I got it on a Wednesday; by 11am that Saturday it looked like this:

That was the result of installing the Lockpick, so I could plug in my satellite radio. Having access to the front screen was a fun bonus, but I never played with it after validating the Lockpick installation. No, my car doesn't have the AUX in to the radio; fleets buy the no package cars, cars that don't exist in the wild on dealer lots.

I didn't get one to play a rolling video game or to save the earth or anything like that. So, mine is JUST A CAR. As such, I give it no excuses--it must *be* a car. The climate control is on, making ME comfortable. I get tires that are appropriate for DRIVING, not for playing a rolling video game.

So play your rolling video game on your own time, on your own roads, and get the f*ck out of the way of the driving public.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

quoted text -

Me? Product-user research, primarily.

You, on the other hand, apparently to show off your ignorance.

Reply to
News