A bunch of questions

Davoud:

Cathy F

Hmmmm. Not certain. My truck cost nearly $40k and got poor gas mileage. But I paid cash for it, so that's not an issue. The issue is that I didn't get my $40k worth of use out of it before selling it. I don't expect the Prius's economy -- perhaps four times better city mileage -- to compensate for the lost use of the truck /and/ the additional cost of the Prius. But, again, for me it wasn't so much about saving money personally. I happen to know Arabic, and I lived or traveled extensively in the Middle East from 1976 - 1993, and it seems I have a better understanding of events there than anyone in the Bush administration -- or at least better than anyone who has spoken publicly about the grave errors we are making there. I'm sorry if that seems political; given my aforesaid experience, to me it is not at all political, but a simple statement of reality.

A personal treat is also a valid reason for getting a Prius!

Are you serious? You can forget to turn your headlights on /at/ /night/ !?

Yes, but I wouldn't exactly call it wiggle room. That was the price, take-it-or-leave-it.

I forgot to mention that they also have a backup camera that displays a color image on the navigation/control display. It's in all option packages, which probably means it's in all Prius's, because you are unlikely to find a Prius with no option package. It isn't meant to guide you in backing up, but to show you at a glance if there are any yard rats or puppies behind you.
Davoud
--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com

Oh, yes. If in a well-lit parking lot when srtarting the car & then drive down well-lit city streets, I can easily forget - can see where I'm going, so don't realize they're not on. I know I'm not unique in this, 'cause I myself have blipped my high beams at other drivers for a second to warn them of no lights on their cars on city streets.

Knocking something off the MRSP is wiggle room IMO, when compared with absolutely no movement on the dealer's part.

Yes, I know a person who bought a Prius this past spring & she has the back-up camera, & loves it. In her case, she's glad of it because of their dog, & when their gr'children visit.
Cathy

Whew, thought I was the only one!

How about the navigation system? Keeps you in the center of the road even in dense fog. Will they add Doppler radar in 2008? Will we have IDR (Instrument Driving Rules) along the lines of IFR?
Cathy F. wrote:

I find this false impression that with automatic headlights you don't have to do anything at all with the light switch. I have run into people who proudly proclaim they NEVER touch their headlight switch anymore being so stupid as not to realize that headlights & taillights help YOU to been seen also in foul weather such as rain, snow, and fog. I also don't understand how you can drive down the street (without the auto lights) and don't realize that you don't have your headlights on. Oh the dumbing down of American is complete!

The dumbing-down of America was completed last November.

What happened in November of 2005?

Sorry, I meant November 2004.

That's what I thought you meant, but I wanted to make sure that I had not missed something.

Sorry - the irony is too much!
"Do I know what rhetorical means?" - Homer Simpson

What if there no such thing as a rhetorical question? --Anon

The headlights are already on - daytime running lights. I do wish the tailights also came on w/ the daytimes... The full headlights - & tailights - kick in by themselves in really bad (darkish/stormy) weather in the daytime.
I also

Because... if it's a brightly lit parking lot where car is being started & then one drives down brightly lit streets, may not realize that lights aren't on - one can see fine.
Oh the

Thanks so much....
Cathy
Cathy F. wrote:

Be warned that not all regions order all packages. If there's a specific option package that you want, be sure to use the "build and price your Prius" option off of http://www.toyota.com/prius to see if it is available in your region. Otherwise, try some ZIP codes of areas that you're willing to go to, and see if the package that you want is available. It is very rare for a dealer to have enough clout with regional to special-order a package for you.

yeah, forgot about that. the rear wiper wasn't standard in 2004, was standard in 2005. but unless you special-ordered the 2004, nearly all regions offered the 2004 with at least package 1 RW with the rear wiper as their "base Prius." About the only 2004s without the rear wiper that I've heard of are ones that were purchased used from a car rental fleet.

ALL North American Prius (2001-current) have the auto-off headlights.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id 6048,00.html http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id 7557,00.html
Then again, I never found the IRS publications or news reports to be that confusing...

Do you own a home or condo, or do you rent? mark_

<snipped rest, for brevity>

Huh?? I own a house. Why?
Cathy

Don't take the bait.

Okay - got it; thanks. ;-)
Cathy

Your answer confirms what I thought when I read thru your list of questions. Obviously your home has been your largest purchase (unless maybe it was willed to you), but all told, the cost of all your vehicles has been a tidy some. Now, is it possible you've done as much as you could to make your home as energy efficient as possible, and buying or thinking of buying a Prius is heading you in that same direction?

Some method to the madness. IMO, you should've stated this before.
(unless maybe it was

Ha!, I *wish*!
but all told, the cost of all your vehicles has been a tidy

Or sum.
Now, is it possible you've done as much as you could to make your home

Nope.
and buying or thinking of buying a Prius is

Nope.
Cathy

I've made car payments my entire life and have paid cash for every car I've owned. I made those payments to myself, of course, so every now and then a car was free. Do the math.
Bill wrote:

Ditto. Though I borrowed money from a CU for my /first/ new car 36 years ago. I also had to borrow a bit from myself last year when I bought my Avalon because I was not due for a new car for another couple of years, and because the top-end Avalon cost more than I had expected to spend (worth every penny.) My 12-year-old Accord did not know that it was not due for replacement, however, and it became problematical.
For my Prius I borrowed from myself again, because the purchase was waaay out-of-cycle (whimsy) but it was a relatively small loan and I was able to pay myself off quickly.
This system does not require wealth (as my example shows!) but it requires discipline. I make payments to my accounts as strictly as I would if a bank was threatening to send the repo man. I have not yet had to repossess one of my own cars...
Davoud
--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com