A good friend...

has a 2002 Prius and it's front passenger floor was soaking wet. My wife says she noticed dripping from under the dashboard, a musty sweet smell, and the windows were fogged up about maybe four to five inches above the dash. Sounds to me like it's heater core has sprung a leak. But her friend says the engine isn't over-heating. If I'm right in my assumption I'm going to be very surprised it could happen.

In other news today...

Why won't you women watch your pocket books better? This woman was careful opening the back door but let her big a$$ pocket book swing and hit my car. And although it was totally obvious I'm the owner, does she say oh sorry or something? Heck no.

Wait 'till I see them again next Sunday.

Have a nice Thanksgiving folks.

mark_

Reply to
mark digital©

Could it be the A/C drain is plugged?

Some are just totally rude when it comes to personal property.

- Greg

Hybrids Have Arrived! Learn About Hybrids! It's Easy at

Easily Make Your First $50K Online!Videos, More at

Greg

I'm with Greg - sounds like a plugged A/C evaporator drain - a very common problem. Not positive about the Prius setup but in most designs even a leaky heater core won't overflow onto the floor if the drain is clear. The last time I had a bad heater core it thoroughly fogged the entire windshield. It seems warm coolant produces a lot of steam

Reply to
Michael Pardee

The sweet odor indicates a leaking heater core. A good friend would urge the owner to get it repaired promptly.

Reply to
richard schumacher

The "musty" description doesn't fit, though. A leaky heater core produces a powerful smell similar to vanilla. My nose doesn't work well but I can sure smell that. The musty smell is more consistent with a plugged drain and mold growth. A check of the coolant level will quickly determine whether it is a heater core leak; if the passenger floor is wet with coolant the coolant level will have dropped dramatically. A paper towel used to blot the liquid from the carpet should also show the red dye used in the coolant.

In either case I agree it should be fixed promptly. Mold is very bad stuff and can be hard to control, and loss of coolant can cause serious engine damage all too soon.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee