My 940 is a slapper

Hi I have posted previously, I now can confirm that my old girl 112k is a slapper the mechanic listened to her knock and the bed post almost collapsed!, He said one of two things will happen. She will carry on with her bad reputation and almost certain she will punch a hole thru her block. He says the jobs just to expensive to do I only paid £850 for her last year. Am I doomed to hear the knock (harsh on start up,quieter when she's had a warm up) Is there no easy fix? I hate women with bad reputations Terry

Reply to
Trevor Colluney

I'm curious about the quieting down after warm-up. Is the knock louder with increased throttle? Also, did you run out of oil at some point?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks Mike, yes the noise is quieter when warmed up,and when underpower disappears. As I increase the throttle the power-on brings on the knock annoying if it's only 10 thousandth of an inch. My son drove her for about

260 miles on low oil late November."bottom of the dip stick" as much my fault for not checking. Terry
Reply to
Trevor Colluney

Just wanted to be sure... exhaust leaks are often mistaken for rod knock (sometimes even by pros on an "off day.") It was the "quieter when warm" that got my attention for that. But the great sensitivity to the throttle (as opposed to being sensitive to going beyond, say, 1/4 throttle) and the history of being run oil-starved puts us back in the "slapper" territory again.

With gentle driving you could get years of boring service. Proper repair probably means an overhaul, though, because the effects of oil starvation or pretty widespread. You really should start picking out a replacement car soon if you aren't that dedicated to the old girl. (My wife *hates* it when I talk like that!)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Jeez, that's bizarre for it to be acting up like that, seriously, 112K is

*nothing*, that motor should easily be good for 300K.
Reply to
James Sweet

I agree. Have a look at the exhaust manifold gaskets. I had the same problem once and turned out to be the gaskets. You could also do the compression test.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar

He mentioned later it was run very low on oil, if it was in fact starved, that'll kill any engine in short order.

Reply to
James Sweet