A triangular and car with icon appears on the screen

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 10:23:28 -0500, richard schumacher

Yeah, show me where the complete standard set of gauges are located on the dash. You know, the ones that show you the exact temperature of your engine, your RPM, etc. Please do that between your full-time childish efforts to plonk and put down. I can't really see someone of your caliber being ABLE to answer any technical question, no matter how simple.

That set of gauges hasn't been standard in decades. RPM is pretty meaningless in the Prius because at any point the engine can not be running while the car is running on batteries alone. Also with the kind of transmission it has, there is no way for you to shift gears--for that matter, there is no such thing as shifting gears.
Knowing the RPM won't do you any good in the Prius. For that matter, neither would knowing the exact engine temperature or oil pressure.
But if having these gauges was so important to you, and knowing before you bought the car that it doesn't have these gauges, why did you buy it?

They are no "standard" gauges on the Prius dash. If you require those to be able to drive a car then you're out of luck with your Prius.
"richard schumacher" wrote

You are not necessarily out of luck. There are after-market add-ons such as this http://scangauge.com/ that supposedly can provide this information.
Al

Right. Connecting a scanner will give him a hell of a lot more information than, for example, a tachometer. Besides, the gauges, there all the time, are generally ignored until the associated warning lamp lights.

Good point. I've seen occasional wishes for oil pressure guages or voltmeters in the Prius, but I'd expect those to be too alarming (my oil pressure has been zero for a minute now!) or too boring ("still 13.4 volts"). The real question revolves around what we need to know when operating the vehicle, since we don't have to worry about the alternator failing or the belt slipping. I don't think the final chapter has been written on that yet, not by a long shot.
Mike
On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 22:27:37 -0700, "Michael Pardee"

Wow. You can talk about a subject after all.
Uh, you misspelled gauges. Back at ya, Einstein.

What kind of idiot buys a car that doesn't have a feature that's so obviously important to him? Did you actually buy your Prius without knowing what the dash looks like?
--
Mike Rosenberg
<http://macconsult.com/cafepress/ Net Junkie and Mac-themed shirts etc.
On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 17:14:10 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@POSTTOGROUP.invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

Yet another chance to use this observation:
"Look at it this way: a troll must be born when an angry fool like you replies. It's a retroactive thing."
PLONK!
snipped-for-privacy@green.green wrote in wrote:

ID 1OT !

Well, gauges would make sense if there was something the owner could do if he or she saw something they could take care of on their own. But I think for the most part considering only a few selected mechanics get to go through special training for this hybrid says a lot. Don't you think? Almost everyone from autobody to emergency personnel have to get special training before attempting to do what they normally do. I've had to warn customs about poking and prodding their way in the trunk.
I'm not taking sides here but I can see why others think you don't own a Prius. I too have my doubt. Sorry.
mark_
zub wrote:

I see by your email address that you are in the UK, so if you have a 1999 Prius, you may have some problems getting it diagnosed/fixed. The 1998-2000 Prius, model NHW10, was originally only sold in Japan, not intended for sale outside of Japan... Diagnostic tools are difficult to come by for this model, outside of Japan.

It might be from a too low octane gasoline. It might be from too much crankcase oil. It could be it was put in Drive way too soon but the problem showed up after you shut off the car and restarted it soon thereafter. I think it's called the 7 second rule. If for some reason the computer gets a improper firing signal from the engine you might see that graphic displayed. If the engine runs maybe you can ignore the warning. But if it's from too much oil then I guess you'll have to have it looked at. I've had the same warnings but I removed the gas cap and put it back on. Then I let the car sit unused for about an hour.
mark_

Site Timeline