Bike racks and spare wheel location.

Two questions:

Where can I buy a kit to fit to the bonnet to allow the spare to be carried there? Or better still anyone know of any websites which show how to make a suitable method, light fabrication work isnt a problem?

Any suggestions for bike racks on a 110 county? Anyone know of any websites that show bike racks that others have made?

Currently using a Simbar rack on the spare wheel, origianally it was for a Discovery, I have modified it slightly to make it fit the spare. This works great and will fit 4 bikes (need to carry 5). But it is just too much weight for the back door (hence the need to move the spare wheel). I could put them on the roof rack, but I am looking for a more freindly method of carrying.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Nunn

I don't know what size your tyres are, but I went to great lengths to mount a 235/85 on the bonnet of my Series 2 and then realised that I couldn't see a bloody thing!

Before you get too deep in I suggest sitting the wheel on your bonnet and checking it out.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

You're s'posed to close the bonnet...

Reply to
Mother

Very funny ;-)

They're 7.50 X16. I used to have an ex MOD SIIA with 7.50's and had that spare on the bonnet and had no probs. But good point.

Steve

Mother wrote:

Reply to
Steve Nunn

Friendly to who? Bikes being carried at the rear of vehicles are the best way to kill another road user (cyclist or motorcylist, for instance). That's why cars have bumpers and increasingly "pedestrian friendly" rear ends etc (Landrover excluded). 5 bikes is a lot of sharp pointy bits sticking out, which will probably also obliterate the lights and number plates if a light board isn't used, which really p*sses me off as it's illegal but they never seem to be stopped.

A spare wheel alone is generally too much weight for the back door.

Reply to
danny

Steve Nunn wrote in news:3F259793.15BD28E6 @lineone.net:

. .

Hi Steve, I have a four bike carrier rated at 6kg from

was good value but needed a bit of fettling to get the poles to go down the holes. The bracket that stays on the vehicle is also the lowest point. So far mine has only filled with mud and popped the red plastic cover off.Terry

Reply to
Terry Lyne