Bike Racks

I am thinking of getting a bike rack for my TJ. The thing is, I installed a new bumper which removes the tire on the back door and goes on a swing out carrier. So, my option are I find a rake that goes in front of the jeep or behind. But if I put it behind, Man that's going to be sticking out 3 or 4 feet. Anyone have an option?

Reply to
denis roy

What about the ones that go on the spare tire?

Mike

denis roy wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have thought of that, but isn't there only a two bike option. If I could, I want a rack for 3 bikes.

Reply to
denis roy

Any recommendations on these? I am looking for a one bike rack for my tire carrier.. something I can lock down but remove simply...

Reply to
batlinsj

I've been through every kind of bike rack you can imagine, bumper, spare tire, roof with the wheels on, roof with the wheels off, even on the roof upside down. I hate to think how much money I've spent trying to find one that works. The one thing I've found is cheap racks suck. I've had 3 Yakima racks and I could recommend everyone of them, but everyone of them was kind of spendy.

Does your new bumper have a 2" receiver? If so my friend there is Hope! In all my bike rack trials I finally settled on a Yakima 4 bike receiver rack. Because all my vehicles have 2" receivers it is easy to move it around depending on what I want to drive. Now the trick is when you want to use the jeep with the swing away tire rack, buy or make and extender. They sell them at RV stores so people with truck campers can also pull trailers. I'm handy with a welder so I made my own for a few bucks.

Because it sticks out pretty far behind the Jeep I wouldn't want to do any extreme 4 wheeling with the rack on. But unlike the roof rack it is very easy to put the bikes on and off. And also unlike the roof rack you don't have to always be looking up lest you forget about the bikes and drive into something.

If you didn't want it to hang off the back you could always put a front receiver hitch on and hang them on the front. You'd never forget they were there

Good Luck Dean

Dean

you can get three bike racks with a spare tire mount.

Reply to
Gazoo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I cut down a Yakima Big Horn 4 hitch mount rack to go into a front 2" hitch. The stock rack carried the bikes too high. This lets me carry bikes on the front while towing a trailer.

Simply drill new holes in the Yakima upright, slide the arm assembly down, shim the arms to slightly above level, and you're good to go. Check for bottom clearance before drilling. If you leave the post full-length, you can move the arms back up for other vehicles.

Be careful with racks that attach to the spare. I lost two door latches using one. The rear gate hardware can barely handle the 30" spare, much less bikes.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y