OIl Change

I have a new prius and was wondering if these any reason to take it to the dealer to have the oil changed. I have always changed the oil in my cars. Of course the manual says to use Toyota oil. Any fact in this??

Anything I need to be aware of before I crawl under there?

MarkB

Reply to
mark b

Just know how fortunate you are to still fit under there. Don't forget to pick up a supply of new drain plug gaskets, a wrench that fits that small filter, and to make an entry in your service manual. I'd attach the receipt for the oil, filters and gaskets to that page. Use any brand of oil that meets or exceeds Toyota's specifications. And wash your hands before you grab any doorknobs or you'll be as popular as, well, snot on a doorknob.

Reply to
Bill

Thanks Bill.

Mark

Bill wrote:

Reply to
mark b

Use 5W30 oil. Don't overfill (i.e. give it long enough to drain). Remember to reset your Maint Reqd light if you have a North American

2004-current Prius (instructions are in the owner's manual). Keep your receipts with a date/odometer statement when you DIY, for warranty reasons.

Don't forget that you also have to rotate the tires per the scheduled maintenance guide!

(The only reason to use a dealer, as opposed to your favorite mechanic, is if you have any free service coupons (some 2003 Prius still may be under the free 3 years/5 free services that came complimentary from Toyota with the car purchase, and some individual dealers may give out coupons for the first service or two), or if you want to build up a rapport with a local dealer's service department, should you need it at a later time. (It's a good/easy way to find the good dealer service from the bad ones before you have a major problem...))

Some guides you may find useful for a DIY oil change:

mrv

your dealer forgot to give you the Prius-specific scheduledmaintenance guide...

Reply to
mrv