Prius Still on top

Price compared to what? A skateboard or push bike? You cannot just break a car down into a spreadsheet, you accountant..lol. It is the sum of its parts and more.

Reply to
Lu R

If you want a car that's really economical throw out all the unnecessary junk and you wouldn't need a silly hybrid drive system to achieve excellent economy. The simple fact is if economy is what floats your boat you don't need a hybrid to achieve it.

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

You're confused. No-one here gives a rat's about the Jap car; we're just hanging shit on silly do-gooder Seppos.

Reply to
Knobdoodle

Yeah but my missus regularly gets 40mpg in a $15,000 AUD Kia Rio. That's not bullshit "highway cycle" imaginary figures; that's real-life stop-start air-con on driving. Spend an extra $25,000 to get a (very maybe) 8mpg more?!!? You'd have to be beyond idiotic.

Reply to
Knobdoodle

Sure you can. There's ZERO prestige associated with a Prius (or maybe even negative prestige cause they're so awkward-looking) so it's just a simple sum of it's parts. All you need is grade 2 maths and you'll see the problem.

Reply to
Knobdoodle

And very poor at maths. It seems that buying a Prius has very little to do with saving money.

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

Price compare with something that does the same job just as well.

A rational fully informed consumer would decide what they want from a car, and then choose the model that provides that for the lowest total cost over the time they'll own the car, including allowing for its resale price.

The Prius's only possible special claim is that because its fuel consumption is lower, it has a lower carbon footprint, but that's doubtful because of the energy required to make the batteries.

The net result is that the rational fully informed consumer would not by a Prius.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Although, if it handled like the Sprite...

Reply to
News

Nice :)

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

No, but it hs a lot to do with c*ck tugging and proving how ignorant you really are.

As you say, people who buy the things can't count past ten without taking their shoes and socks off. They'd most likely be the types who would happily drive an hour each way to buy something 3 bucks cheaper than what it costs in their immediate area, and use 5 bucks worth of petrol in the process.

The ones who claim they bought the thing based on an environmentally friendly basis are the types who do it for me. They're the *real* fuckwits :)

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

Let the hybrids march on in. People buy cars they decide they want. You may want to lay on the road in protest... lol

Reply to
Lu R

No, he said he doesn't care what *you* think; you're not "the rest of the world".

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Apples and oranges.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

I've been getting 50 to 53 MPG with my 2004 Prius; the base model listed for somewhere between $19,000 and $20,000. The model I bought came to $26,000 including tax and title fees.

Even the most expensive 2010 Prius costs $32,000. From what orifice did you pull that "extra $25,000"?

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Yeah, like $20,000 - $25,000 = $25,000.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

got any citations to back that up?

How can someone irrational as you know what a rational person would do?

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

To the average American "the world" is everything between New York and California, and most of them seem awfully surprised when they learn there's life beyond their own borders.

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

Boy, isn't it just like a septic to assume that everyting that happens in the world happens in the US? Don't you just love the ignorance? :)

In case you missed it, or the "aus.cars" in the header, he was talking

*Australian dollars*. Down here, a new base model Prius costs AU$38k (or close to $50k if you were foolish enough to buy the top of the line job), and at that price it's close to double the price of a new Corolla.

On that basis alone they make very little economic sense at all.

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

If icebergs were made of irony, you'd provide enough to sink 100 Titanics :)

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

That's the delusional stereotype of Americans that you have. And I mean you, personally, not the generic you.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner