Prius Still on top

You aren't driving the US Corolla, obviously.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

According to Toyota, the Prius has much more rear seat hip room as well.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Not much of a choice, why do they have a policy where you only have a choice of 2 uninspiring vehicles?

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

From the same source as you the Corolla is 0.6" wider than the Prius so either that number is incorrect or the "hip room" dimension is. I don't see how its possible for a car that is narrower on the outside to be 7" wider on the inside, maybe Toyota have invented a real Tardis, Dr Who will be pleased.

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

The US version and the Australian version look almost identical, I compared the widths of both and its identical. Oddly we seem to get more models, we get hatchbacks as well as sedans which don't appear to be available in the US but the US range includes a model with a 2.4lt engine but we only get 1.8lt engines.

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

It's quite possible, depending on how the interior trim works out.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Those were the two choices at the bottom end of the monthly price range (I pay a "personal use charge"--essentially, I prepay a fixed amount to cover my personal use of the car, and any personal use value above that is simply given to me as a benefit).

There were other price levels at which I could have gotten any number of cars. I failed to see the value. Driving the Prius hasn't changed my mind any.

Others pay twice as much for the Volvo S40; to a man, all of them have regretted their decision.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

That's kinda like being asked to pick between strawberries & cream and dogshit on toast. Obviously you'd take the strawberries, but even if they're not ripe and the cream isn't fresh they'll still taste better than the alternative.

In other words, average fruit always looks good if all you're comparing it to is shit.

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

Sucks to be you :)

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

How much is a Camry or Accord compared to a Prius over there?

Are they still in business?

Why is that?

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

We get mostly the same cars, but just pay a lot more for them than you do. We even pay more for *our* cars here than you do for them there.

As far as I'm aware the Corolla's and Prius sold here are the same as yours, with minor differences to suit our particular vehicle regulations. Having said that, and having driven both cars a number of times, I can't see any difference in interior size between them *apart* from the luggage capacity and a little bit extra rear seat legroom. The physical layout of the cars is certainly different in terms of style and materials, but space wise there's nothing in it for mine.

Perhaps the different look of the two makes one appear bigger than the other.

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

From what I've seen ours is the same.

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

Can you post those figures?

They would be completely at odds to the figures I took from Toyota's website last night.

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

So your argument comes down to "it's better than a Chevy Malibu" does it?

Reply to
Knobdoodle

So it would seem :)

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

Everyone's situation is different. The Prius wasn't on my radar screen until it made sense in my situation and was literally handed to me (when you consider the alternative).

And now that I've had it for a couple years, I've come to the conclusion: I would happily buy a Prius on my own. I may even buy it when it becomes available at turnover time.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Be sure to click on the Dimensions tab.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

The rear seat hiproom difference DEFINITELY shows itself. It's a BIG difference.

And the front seats, for whatever reason, fit me better than the Corolla's front seats.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I wouldn't buy a German car with YOUR money. (Been there, done that.)

And yes, I "get" German cars. German cars are the expensive, pouty, and high-maintenance mistresses of the road. Damn, they are a fine, fine ride...

....but then the maintenance and pouting kicks in.

At some point, without unlimited funds, you are at a decision point: continue the high-priced, high-maintenance fun, or go back home and enjoy your reliable Lexus wife of a car, patiently sitting there waiting for you to get over the midlife crisis.

Oh sure, she's not as sexy as the German car, and she doesn't handle at the edge like the German car. She's also not as fickle and high maintenance and pouty, and she agrees with you much more of the time. She's always there and never complains, and you come to realize there's more to life than a high-maintenance relationship with a pouty, high-maintenance woman--no matter how sexy she is or how fun the nights out with her can be. Because when she lets you down and demands more of you than you have to give, and treats you like dirt, you're standing there all alone outside the club, looking and feeling like an idiot.

Your Lexus wife would never, ever do that to you.

And the occasional fun night out isn't worth what you end up paying for it, both financially and in time wasted while you wait for the German car mistress to be in the mood to play.

Do this: start paying attention to cars with tail light and headlight problems. What brands of cars are you seeing? That's right--VW, M-B, and BMW. And pay attention to how old, or rather how new, those problem cars are.

The reality of electrical issues with German cars make Lucas electrics look reliable.

Now *try* to find a Honda or Toyota, either low brand or high brand, no matter how old, with non-working tail lights. Good luck.

It's a small thing, but it represents the reality of the situation. You want to buy a German car? Just buy a GM car. At least the money you're throwing away stays more inside the country--and you get just as reliable a car.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Well, I like strawberries and cream, so...

And as it turned out, I didn't have to settle for "not so ripe strawberries and not so fresh cream". At the price, I was willing to--but I didn't have to. It worked out very well.

At least I didn't have to choose between dogshit and apeshit. At least I could stay in the lowest price range and avoid steaming piles of shit altogether.

As for average fruit...the Prius fits very well what I need it to do, and I say that independent of what kind of engine is under the hood.

Keep in mind, my monthly personal use charge includes the car, gas, oil, maintenance, repairs, and insurance. It could get 3mpg, and I just wouldn't care.

But after I got it I looked very hard at the technology and how they executed it, and it seems that Toyota engineers are brilliant.

That all being said, I'd be happy to buy one with my own money--and may very well when it's time to turn in the company car.

But I'm not blind--if for whatever reason they sneak the Corolla size or interior space configuration up a bit to make it just as comfortable for me and mine, and if they keep that US$14,000 price...well, it'd be a strong contender.

Then I'd be looking at new company car, new Prius on my own, new Corolla on my own, or buying out the 90K mile existing Prius I've had since new.

Everyone's situation is different, and not all Prius owners fit your prejudicial notions.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty