Rebuilt Prius?

Often a big discount is offered on cars that have been wrecked and then rebuilt. i.e. insurance salvage sale to reconstructed or rebuilt title.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas on owning or buying a rebuilt Prius?

Thanks! - Greg

Now Easily Make Your First $50K Online! Videos, More at

Guru Says GOODBYE To Search Engines

Greg

It depends upon the original accident, the quality of the rebuild, the price, and how long you'll keep the car. I don't think there is anything about the Prius that makes it unsuitable for salvage.

My wife drives a "salvage title" Subaru. She was driving 15 mph on our neighborhood street when someone roared out of a driveway. The accident poked something into the engine that combined with the minor front-end body damage to cost enough so the insurance company decided to total it. We carefully inspected the car (with an expert), and bought it back from the insurance company for peanuts, then spent about $6,000 repairing it

- that included a wonderful paint job in precisely the non-Subaru color she really wanted in the first place. The warranty is void, of course, but the car is as reliable and safe as one with a conventional title, and since we drive cars until they can't go any further, we actually pocketed a lot of money on the deal!

At the other extreme, a friend talked himself into buying a "salvage title" SUV, on which shiny paint covered horrible body work, sub-par welding, many hidden mechanical problems, and huge quantities of bondo. It literally began falling apart almost immediately, and was irreparable. There was no recourse, and he wound up junking the car for almost nothing.

So, if I found a 2004-7 Prius at half market value, and had accurate knowledge of the underlying damage, I'd probably buy it.

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Ike

Not me personally, but I've read of a few owners on the yahoogroups lists (some even did the rebuild themselves). Main concern for most is the lack of warranty coverage. A few dealers may be nice and do some of the TSB work under warranty, but not all are willing to do so on a salvaged title.

Reply to
mrv

I had a salvaged Acura for several years. I fortunately did not have an accident with it. The body would not have sustained even a moderate accident and was not as safe as the original car.

Peter Hirsch

Reply to
pmhirsch