should keylless Prius switch itself off?

I have a 2007 Prius with keyless entry and start. I had it parked in P and the parking brake set. I came out some hours later and found the engine still running even though the key was out of range. I assume I forgot to press the Power button.

Is this normal or should it turn off if the key is out of range?

-- John Oliver snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com.au AIM or MSN jdoliver98

Reply to
John Oliver

Michelle Steiner

Thank you.

-- John Oliver snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com.au AIM or MSN jdoliver98

Reply to
John Oliver

Always lock the car when you leave it. If it's still ON or a door is ajar it will give a long warning beep.

Reply to
richard schumacher

I dunno, YOU bought the shiny new $25,000 toy; what does your owner's manual say?

Oh, I forgot--you don't need to read that. You already know how to drive.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

No, it will not switch itself off. I'm not sure of the rationale, but it is technically possible for someone to take your Prius and drive it anywhere--until it is turned off. Without the key fob, it cannot be turned on, of course.

As I remember, it beeps at you when you leave the car with the fob. I don't remember if you can lock it like that, or if you can lock the car with the fob inside and you outside. Lots of things I don't want to test for, there.

Reply to
Peter Granzeau

People wonder why there are so few post to this group that relate to the Prius. Lighten up, Elmo.

Reply to
Al Falfa

We're here to help people, not spoon feed them through life.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

RTFM applies throughout, life included.

Reply to
News

I don't have a problem telling someone what the manual says and where to look in the manual for additional information. Apparently you don't go along with helping people to this extent. I read the entire manual for both my 2005 and 2010. When I took the LSAT I scored in the top 10% in reading comprehension. Still, I don't remember everything I read, but instead simply whether or not a particular topic is addressed.

Having read both manuals yourself, you are faced with two choices: Simply give them the answer they are looking for, perhaps mentioning that it is covered in the manual, or ignoring the question in favor of treating them like shit. I chose the first option, you choose the second.

Reply to
Al Falfa

But you forgot HIS point. He was faced with two choices: simply go out and get the manual out of the car and attempt to look up the information, or just sit on his lazy ass and demand that the world feed him something so that he doesn't have to do it himself.

You chose to support him in his total lack of effort. You simply enabled him to continue to be the selfish asshole that he admits himself to be.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty