the plural of Prius?

"I had a Prius then, and loved it. In fact, I've now had three Prii since they first came out."

Sounds kinda funny, but would "priusses" be better?

Just stirring the pot, pretty quiet here lately.

Reply to
Buck Frobisher

Well, since Prius isn't a Latin word, it wouldn't be pluralized according to Latin rules, so the plural should be Priusses.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

Prius is in my latin dictionary as an adverb: prior, before, previously, formerly. Example: "prius quam" = before that.

You're driving an adverb! :-)

Rod

Reply to
nobody

You learn something new every day!

LOL! And, of course, you don't pluralize an adverb at all.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

Maybe we should use it as we do sheep, shrimp and you, singular or plural depending on context.

"Mr.Dealer, how many Prius do you have on your lot today?" "I have ten Prius being prepped right now. Want one?"

Sounds more elegant than Prii or Priuses.

Rod

Reply to
nobody

Agreed!

Reply to
Buck Frobisher

That whole "awkwardness" thing is the main problem. "Prius" (plural) sounds weird when I say it but okay when I write it, kind of like saying "fishes." I often end up mangling the spoken version into something like "priusoosie" when I speak it without giving enough thought to it ahead of time.

Here in Arizona we are a y'all-optional state. We even have people who use the other second person plural forms of "you" from around the US: "you-uns" and "youse." With something that common in disarray the plural of this car model doesn't bother me all that much. Take care now, y'hear?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

How about using the Hebrew form, Priusim?

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

Youse guys all have a good point.

Reply to