216 Cabrio

Hello all your Rover folks

I am thinking about buying my first Rover - i can get a 1996 216 real cheap - it has a engine damage.

I have some Q conn. a Rover 216 Cabriolet 1996

Is the engine a Honda engine - and can i put a Honda engine in as replacement?

Is there any good site with information where i can see diff. betwean year models etc?

Is there anything special i should pay attention to on this model (common problems etc)

The car is to be used only as a summer car here in cold Scandinavia - so it will only see the roads for 3 months a year, i have a everyday car beside this one, i can repair/maintain everything myself have a small garage - hope some of you have some knowledge you will share with me

Reply to
ena

If it's the original square shape (later eighties to mid nineties) then yes it'll be a Honda engine. However, if it's the newer 'bubble' shape (from mid nineties onwards) then it'll only be the Honda engine IF it also has an automatic gearbox - if it's a manual gearbox then it'll have the Rover K-series engine fitted.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Sorry Darren ,but later 216s ( same shape as R25) had a K series engine mated to a CVT gearbox. Early R25s had 1.8 K series engine with similar Steptronic autobox. Finally, Rover 25 went back to 1.6 K series Steptronic and only fitted 1.8 Steptronic to MG ZR!

Clear?

I hope I'm right!

ken

Reply to
Ken Forrest

It is this one I am looking at:

I guess it`s a Honda engine right?

Anything else to watch out for on such a car?

"Ken Forrest" skrev i en meddelelse news:d5ls28$60p$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

Reply to
ena

Ena

This DOES have a Honda engine. The car is the same as the Honda Ballade of that time. The engine was also used in Honda Civics and all the Rover 416 automatics. The gearbox is also a Honda "conventional" type and NOT a CVT one.

I hope this helps?

Good luck

Ken

Reply to
Ken Forrest

Oh, and I had a 416 ( later type) with the same engine / gearbox. My daughter then acquired it, then my son. He sold it to a friend who still owns it. It has 120,000 miles on the clock ( which should be about 190,000 kilometres) and neither the engine, nor the gearbox have given any trouble whatsoever.

I did change the auto transmission fluid at about 80,000k I think.

I also owned 2 different 214 hatchbacks the same shape as "your" 216 cabrio. I never had any bother with them!

After the Rover demise, don't pay too much for the car!

ken

Reply to
Ken Forrest

never seen a bubble shape 200 Cabriolet or a 25 !

Peter

Reply to
mavy

Me neither, but IIRC the bubble shape was introduced 1995 and I thought it best to cover both types for the benefit of anybody who might care.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Quite possibly: I'm basing my information on the Haynes manual for the bubble shaped 400 series and that states that it does not cover those models fitted with the Honda engine and auto box, neither is there any mention of an auto box on the 1.4/1.6/2.0 (Rover) engines covered. I assumed the new

200 series would be the same but I guess not?

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Thanks for all the reply`s

Is the 1,6 122 hp the DOHC or OHC version of the Honda 1,6 engine?

"ena" skrev i en meddelelse news:427e4f9b$0$165$ snipped-for-privacy@dtext02.news.tele.dk...

Reply to
ena

Probably the DOHC version; the 1.4 K-series manages about 104BHP and I don't think the SOHC 1.6 Honda was much above that (maybe 110ish?), so it would imply it's the DOHC. Of course, it could be the 1.6 K-series to get that output but either way, it's not bad considering Ford's 1.8 Zetec engine (in the Mondeo) is 118BHP and that's a twin cam too!

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

I may be wrong, but I believe its was a 16v SOHC in the 1.6 Honda engine Rover 200/400 Except the DOHC GTI models. These where badged TwinCam.

Chilly

Reply to
chillypenguin

The 1.6 K-series is 111Bhp, you need the 1.8 to get 120Bhp.

Reply to
Andrew Murray

Honda Ballade?????? That was the Mk1 Rover 200, 1984-89.

The Rover Mk2 200/Mk1 400/Cabrio/Coupe/Tourer was the same as the Honda Concerto!

Reply to
Andrew Murray

Really? I'm suprised the DOHC Honda is more powerful than the same sized K-series.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis