The End

Well, it had to happen but I am surprised how long the management managed to hang on! Longbridge has finally been brought to it's knees by the work shy staff with Red Robbo attitude and lack of production. There is no chance on this earth that the shop floor staff will ever find a job with similar pay and conditions, no doubt, no local companies would want to employ them with their track record. It is a crying shame that this has happened and knocks a nail in the coffin of British car manufacture. Those greedy work dodging shop floor workers had it coming for a long time though. I hope LDV have the brains not to think about employing these leaches. You should feel ashamed of yourselves.

Graham White

Reply to
G.W.

Kerpluuuuunk!

Reply to
BTConnect

Graham don't just knock the Rover workforce this attitude of get the biggest wage you can and do bugger all for it is what has brought the majority of all the UK manufacturing base to its knees . Back in 1975 I worked for a well known carpet manufacturer and my work mates decided they would like a tenner a week pay increase i was more than satisfied with the pay I was getting but no the rest would have this extra cash. The managing director told us yes you can have the extra pay but save it because this branch will be closed by Christmas AND IT WAS !! . Greedy lazy bastards the lot of em .

Reply to
dexter
?

Ford, GM, Nissan... Caterham, Bristol, F1, some Indy....

The car industry in Britain is thriving.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Thriving but all the profit is not staying in the UK I wouldn't have a car made by the above given me .

Reply to
dexter

I think it was on Sun, 15 May 2005 22:38:51 +0100 that snipped-for-privacy@bluyonder.co.uk announced to the world:

The profit may not be (not that there's much profit to be made in the car industry these days), but the tax/NIC on the employees wages is, and they're spending what's left at Tesco and Sainsburys.

BTW, you forgot Toyota in Derby, TVR in Blackpool, and Honda in Swindon. Am I right in thinking that the only biggish motor manufacturer left in British hands is now the company that makes taxis?

Reply to
Rob

You are right about there being more. My list was not comprehensive (hence the dots after Nissan).

Manganese Bronze, or whatever it's called? Maybe. I think the national flavour of the hands is immaterial. What is needed is hands that know how to run a profitable business long term.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Now be fair. I did see on last weeks TV that they had found jobs for 100. It only took all the resources the Government could throw at the problem - plus the local council - plus other organisations whose code names stand for tax payer - millions of pounds - and all this in spite of them being highly skilled desirable work people!

They also found some training places - does any one know what they are being trained to do?

Reply to
London