Rover 216 noise

Any suggestions as to why our Rover 216 makes a growling noise when the motor is under load? Disappears at idle and when cruising.

Bloggs.

Reply to
Bloggs

you from that. if possible (i understnad the difficulty here) but if you coudl try and pinpoint whether its from the engine. gear box. exhaust. or .. somewhere else. we may be able to help easier... As i said there could be someone who has had a problem and coudl give you a starting point.

I had a 214 that made a noise when pulling hard, but that was just a problem with the exhaust..

Rob

Reply to
Rob Beech

Would this be the honda engine or the rover t series ?

The characteristics of the honda engine can produce a growling sound when you boot it as i beleave this engine as an electronic vacume control valve which kicks in around 2k on the tachometer to increase the suction of air into the engine. GOOD Engine

If its a honda it will have PG-FI rather prominently stamped on the intake manifold

Also this noise can be alot louder when main link from the down pipe to the exhaust pipe is leaking air, the engine becomes a little choked too, still sounds good.

And finnaly check the exhast manifold that too could be leaking.

Still a bloody good engine the honda 1.6 sohc or dohc, its probably the only engine i have ever seen that can go 150 miles with a compleatly knackerd head gasket and not warp the head in the slightest.

Its a thirsty engine.

Reply to
Oz