416/414

I have a Rover 416si but recently the head gasket went and i was told by a number of people that i would need to replace the engine. I enquired at a local garage and was told that they could put a 414 engine in instead to save me some money and that it would be compatible and run just fine. NOT THE CASE!!!! Since it has been fitted i have had the engine tested and it`s fine, the exhaust system tested and thats fine, the fuel system stripped and checked for blockages and thats fine so i am at a bit of a lose end as to what the problem may be. My local Rover dealership have reprogrammed the ecu engine management system and tested all the circuits and it passed with flying colours so why is it that the damn thing wont start when cold and when i do eventually get it running it splutters and stalls. If i am lucky enough to get it warmed up enough to drive it then if i show it the slightest hill or try to accelerate by more than 10 miles per hour in about

10 minutes it doesnt want to know. If anybody has any ideas at all i would be very gratefull as im about ready to drive the damn thing (well tow it!) into a canal.
Reply to
philip adams

chrismm